Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It's been a busy week. I am sorry that I've been a blog slacker. Monday I spend some time with the cast from the Marco Polo again teaching them the last of the shows they have to learn before heading for the ship this weekend. It's called "Standing Room Only" and is really challenging..there are probably at least 20 different songs from musicals like "Wicked", "Hairspray", "West Side Story", "Les Mis", "Crazy For You", "Music Man", and others...they were a bit overwhelmed but did a great job. I know they are just ready to have this stuff learned and get on with the show...so to speak! :)

Monday night I worked for GMC at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center. It was the annual YMCA of Middle Tennessee "Celebration". There were several different areas that were themed with music and food---gospel, classical, jazz, Caribbean, and R&B. Each area had a character host that fit the theme...like Carmen Miranda, Marie Antoinette and others. I hosted the gospel area and got to listen to the amazing Voices of Mt. Zion choir from Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Nashville. WOW!! They were awesome! And Gary Musick's company did a great job of creating a wonderful vibe in each space with music and food.





I have been buried the rest of the week in planning for the next sermon series with Tim, working on Romans and themes for the next few weeks, planning our 6 times of worship at Pepperdine next week with ZOE, and getting ready for Kyler (our worship intern who arrives May 17th!) Whew! It's been crazy! We have rehearsal with ZOE tonight. It will be fun to be back together and to get our minds and hearts around what's coming next week!



And...American Idol last night was fun...but were the judges hearing correctly? I was surprised they didn't grill a few of them more than they did. There was some MAJOR pitchiness going on---at least it was loud and clear coming through our TV. Who's getting kicked off tonight?????

7 comments:

Arlene Kasselman said...

As a musician please tell me if Jordin was as good as they said. Seriously, either the sound is going out on our TV or we are even more musically challenged than I originally thought!!!!
And she is one of my favs, as is Blake except for the odd faced performance last night.

Kizer said...

Jordin was definitely messing up last night. I was shocked when the judges acted oblivious.

Tim Castle said...

My wife and kids were watching, and I was in the other room, avoiding it. I cringed hearing Jordin; she sounded nervous, out of breath, and out of tune. When she was done, my family all were cheering. I though they were glad she had done poorly. Then I heard the judges raving over her, and I couldn't believe it. Todays press on the show are all glowing about her performance, and I'm still trying to figure out what I missed. The song was great, and her passion for it was obvious; but she sounded bad.

Makes me wonder just how rigged this show is.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

we LOVE Jordin. But, what in the world? That was some crazy stuff last night. I think LaQuisha is gone.

MichaelPolutta said...

I'm so glad I am not the only one baffled by Jordin's performance and the judges reaction to it. I had the same thought as Tim - makes me VERY suspicious.

Jordin is amazing - with the qualifier "at 17." The difference in artistry between her and Melinda is significant. One can sing, the other is a musician.

Clarissa said...

I think Jordin was crying about something before she ever got started -- that's what was up with her unusual weak spots. I can't imagine the continual stress of that spotlight at 17. As to the judges ... maybe they also knew she'd been crying. The press mostly takes its cues from the judges, I think, I dunno, Tim. I guess that's the point.

Liked the arrangement; very different from the staid "You'll Never Walk Alone" of my High School's Baccalaureate Service.

I didn't think LaQuisha yelled anymore than Jordin or Melinda on a couple of their high notes ... but she dressed very "old" and, yelling or no, it was hard to listen to her singing while perusing her dress, hair, and jewelry.

I must say Melinda is my fave. Rob and I were so glad when Simon told her to quit looking so shocked all the time -- and I've liked her even better ever since.

Kyler Erwin said...

What amazed me the most was Elvis!! Awesome Crazy!