Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I admit it. I love food. I love delicious, attractive to the eye, wonderfully seasoned, perfectly cooked food.

I come by it naturally. I come from a long line of cooks on both sides of my family. My mom, a fantastic southern chef, still uses recipes and actual antique bowls handed down from great and great-great grandparents. Family reunions, holiday gatherings, parties and birthdays were often marked with famous family recipes.

Sheryl comes by it naturally too. Her mom AND dad are amazing cooks. I remember the first time I had Ernestine's pecan pie. It was absolutely unbelievable. The very first night I met her parents, Sheryl and her mom went to a dinner party and left me home with Sheryl's dad and her uncle (Sonny--Kiki's dad). What did we do? We cooked. Sheryl's dad made some incredible stir fry thing. I was won over instantly and put at ease.

And now, I get to come home and often smell some amazing treat cooking in the oven or on the grill. Yes, sometimes we have pizza or just a salad. BUT, Sheryl continues a tradition that our families have enjoyed for generations...we sit at the table, turn off the TV, pray, and enjoy food and fellowship. As we sat down tonight, I looked at the grilled asparagus, the seasoned grilled chicken, the rosemary potatoes, and tomatoes and HAD to take a picture. (yeah. I am ridiculous. But I wanted to capture what I was thinking as we sat down to enjoy.) Thank you, Sheryl! Thank you, Mom, Ernestine, Granny Brandon, Dot, Mow, Granny Tucker, Bob and so many more in our lineage who've passed down the gift and art of food!

7 comments:

Clarissa said...

"Food, glorious food!"

Malia said...

Mmmm...I may just invite myself over for dinner one night! ;)

Hoots Musings said...

Was that all for you?

~Jodi~ said...

yuummm yumm yum that looks REALLY good :)
And I hope your back is feeling better each day!

Fajita said...

Admit it, you love Sanjaya.

Congrats! Your man passed again.

Craig said...

Who are you?

Katherine said...

That looks delicious!! What time is dinner? ;)