Tuesday, February 13, 2007

There is true community in sharing the Supper. Alan French shared something with me last fall at the ZOE conference--a way to take the Supper that has really blessed me. Each Sunday as the cup is passed he takes a cup from the very middle of the tray. (you know how most trays have circles...it's that inner circle.) He and his friends separated by miles do this each week to remind themselves that this Walk is about community and they share community with each other.

I have been doing this since last fall. Each Sunday as I remember Christ and what He did for me, I also have a fuller picture of some of my brothers like Josh Ross, Stephen Bailey, Craig Fisher, Chris Doggett, Kyle Dickson and others taking the bread and cup and remembering Christ. There is power in community. We've walked hard roads together. We've laughed and cried. And each Sunday we stop and remember Jesus and how he gave everything for us. It's been a real blessing to me. It's one more way of remembering that this Journey is not just about the vertical.

I love that Jesus had the disciples take time to prepare a supper table, a gathering place. He could have given them instructions to go sit in a dark room alone. But He didn't. It was a community supper. There was interaction, there was admonition, there was friendship. I'm so glad that is a part of the example He gave us.

--------------

Our girls are so excited about being flower girls at Kiki's wedding this summer. They can hardly wait! I took some pictures of them last night. Maddie was the little poser--as you can see. Ella would have none of it. She flatly refused to have her picture made alone. HA! Here are my little beauties...









5 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm impressed you guys already have their dresses! What if they grow!?! :-)

Clarissa said...

Ah -- that's where Sheryl's creative talents come in. She can fix anything. But I'd guess she made those (and probably left room to grow.)

Christy said...

They look sooooo cute!!

Craig said...

Blessed by your words!

Keith B. said...

BST...that's a great thought about the Supper. Alan actually got a bunch of us guys doing that at a youth rally in 1995. We've done it every Sunday since, and now our families take Communion in the same way. For us, it really brings in the family aspect of Christ's Supper.

Of course, if everyone started taking from the center, it could cause serious problems for the fillers of the cups. Ahh, the logistics of proper communion partaking.