Saturday, January 13, 2007

Today is my father's birthday. I haven't gotten to celebrate with him since 1991. It was a great celebration. Little did I know it would be his last birthday.

Tonight the girls and I talked about "Poppy's" birthday. Though it sounds a bit morbid, Maddie cracked me up by saying, "Awww, birthdays aren't really fun when you're dead. Do all the dead people go to his birthday party?" wow.

Ella's response was, "Daddy, what will birthdays be like when we have our new bodies in heaven?" again...wow. I told her I wasn't sure but it sure was a neat thought!

Happy birthday, Dad. Wish you were here!

3 comments:

John Owens said...

Wow, great thoughts.

Two of my students just lost their dad two weeks ago. Yesterday was his birthday as well. Still in great grief and shock they were to celebrate his birthday with their mom.

As for me, my parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary yesterday. As I drove home to ATL, I couldn't help but think of how much they have influenced and shaped who I am.

I know the same thoughts must have been going through the minds of myv students about their father, and now I see the same about you and your dad.

This post adds another special perspective as to why January 13th is a significant day for so many. That date is such a great reminder of how our lives are so signifcantly impacted by those we love.

I'll be thinking of you and your mom this time next year for sure.

Stephen Bailey said...

Thanks for the Sam memory. You knew I couldn't resist commenting on Maddie's take on things. How cool to be able to invite anyone who is dead to your birthday party! I hope that's how it works! I'm already making an invitation list!

Royce Ogle said...

Death has been an unwelcome visitor in my life, first my dad in 1993, then my wife in 1997, and many friends since. My wife and I (who lost her husband in 1997) have learned much about grieving since we started facilitating a Grief Share group over 3 years ago.

If your church doesn't have a grief group I highly recommend "Grief Share". We have seen God use this DVD series and the discussion, prayer, hugs and tears to transform lives from grief to joy. If you are interested just google them.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle