Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Miss Nashville/ Miss Athens of the South pageant was a lot of fun last night. I have to admit, I was really impressed with many of the girls. Their character, their leadership skills and public speaking abilities were impressive. One of the girls was a 5th generation theme park person. Her great grandfather invented the bumper cars. Her parents own a theme park in New Hampshire. It was interesting to hear her talk about it.

It was a great night getting to visit with the other judges too. There were 5 of us. We got to ride in a limo together to dinner (thanks to Scott Hilburn, judges manager). It was a crazy, fun night. I never imagined I would judge a pageant like that, but I'm glad I did. It was a pleasure meeting everyone involved.


These pictures are of Holly Lane, the new Miss Nashville. Holly happens to be a student at Lipscomb. I had never met her until last night. She was impressive. She spoke boldly about her love of the Lord and was outstanding in all categories. Great job, Holly! Congratulations! (Is she related to Eva Longoria?? I mean seriously.)

Tonight we had a wonderful night of worship at Otter Creek. ZOE and I led Celebration and Teresa Newsome did her amazing signing along with us. We also used the Rob Bell DVD "Rain". It makes me bawl every single time.

The last thing I heard at the end of Celebration, the Colts were down--big time. So, we went on downstairs to the gym for the chili cook-off. By the time we made it home, the Colts had pulled it off! GO COLTS! I hope Manning can win a Superbowl.

Have a great Monday, blog family.

5 comments:

Stephen Bailey said...

I hope Manning can win a Super Bowl too. Danieal Manning, the Bears starting free safety from ACU. Last year he was starting in those big games at Shotwell Stadium, this year he is starting in the Super Bowl! I'm disappointed in you BST. I guess you have officially abandoned your Abilene roots to cheer for that Tennessee boy. "Good ol' Rocky Top" instead of "O Dear Christian College?" I hadn't heard you had been named "Mr. Tennessee." I'm sticking with the Wildcat Manning! The true "Mr. ACU!" I love talking football smack with you! We're breaking new ground here.

Val said...

First, both teams have Abilene ties. Dominic Rhodes grew up here and went to Cooper High so he played more games at Shotwell than Manning. I know, now you're torn.

BST, I once had to judge a pageant back during my banking days. It was a feeder into the Miss USA system and probably not quite as high-brow as yours probably was. In fact, I probably could have been a finalist if I had worn a different bra.

Amy S. Grant said...

How funny - I came over here to find your e-mail to write you about Holly. And there she is! You made a great choice in voting for that girl (assuming you did)!

She is dating a sweet guy from our church. I've only met her once or twice, but she is very impressive.

I was visiting with her last night and she said she kinda knew of one of the judges, that he was on the OC praise team. I was like "Is it Brandon??" You're everywhere, man!

Stephen Bailey said...

Val, BST wasn't "Mr. Cooper High", he was "Mr. ACU." Trump.

Katherine said...

Wow, what an interesting experience. Holly sounds like a great woman who will be a good example-that is exciting!

Although I am excited about Danieal Manning being in the Super Bowl, I have stronger Colts ties as I went to camp for several years with the punter, Hunter Smith and have been cheering for the Colts for about 8 years. It is going to be a GREAT game-GO COLTS!! :)

Blessings...