Thursday, January 18, 2007

The funeral today was so sweet...full of touching and hilarious memories shared by close friends. I also had an experience of a lifetime. I sang a duet with Bernie Arnold (who turns 80 on Monday!!) as per the request of Ruth. Bernie's husband, Bud, was the worship minister at Otter Creek for 36 years prior to me. He was such a mentor and a friend to me. His death was sudden and hard on everyone at OC. Bernie reminds me a lot of one of my other favorite people in Abilene, Jeannette Lipford. She was nervous about singing today, but absolutely nailed it. I told her it was an experience I would remember for the rest of my life. So sweet.

I am using a Nooma DVD Sunday at our Celebration service. Rob Bell--love him. This particular one is called "Rain". Check it out. It's pretty awesome!

It's been a day of crazy emotions. At one point I was bawling watching that Nooma DVD. Later, I was tearful as I listened to sweet stories of friendship at the funeral. Then, the afternoon ended with raucous laughter amongst friends. It all reminds me of the gift of life. Every moment is precious!

3 comments:

k2 said...

i listen to rob's sermons a lot by downloading them from mars hill's site, load them on my iPod i got for christmas, and listen to them while on the way to work, or while going to one of our offices. my buddy chirs lockhart got me interested in rob.

no, no, i take that back. it was when i was at my buddy ryan's house, he is now the senior minister at park row. ryan is the guy that you were talking to at the emergent conference thing in nashville, and when i had him on the phone once i said, "if you see bst tell i said, 'hey!'" ryan said, "i'm sitting here with him right now just talking."

he brought back the rob dvd's he had gotten and i think the first one we listened to was about 'silence'. the 'rain' on is awesome, too. talking about our love for our children and the love of God.

rock on bst!

k2 said...

i wish i remembered to proof read before i submit a post. it makes me look so 'ignent'.

Clarissa said...

What did you and Bernie sing? So sweet of Ruth to have asked that.
I loved her -- she was always so kind and complimentary to me, and never afraid to speak her mind (with wisdom) in classes. Wonderful woman.