Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Birthday memories...

Believe it or not, I still remember my 2nd birthday party. It was early 70s, my cake was a yellow smiley face...very popular symbol then! :) I remember my Granny Tucker walking through the kitchen of our old house (my great grandmother).

I remember a few years later when my parents planned a surprise party for me at the local roller skating rink. I was so surprised that I wet my pants. Nice thing to do at your OWN birthday party. I remember not wanting anyone to know so I skated and skated and skated around and around and around until it dried out. Absolutely disgusting. I probably smelled like an outhouse. Maybe I have bladder issues?

I remember my 16th birthday party...a costume party. It was a blast. I went as a gladiator.

I remember birthdays after that for years spent with my family, my cousin Josh, my close friends Kyle Dickson, Donjalea Reynolds, Mark Reeves, Stephen Bailey and others. We always went to The Outpost...an awesome restaurant in Abilene that is now closed.

I remember celebrating my 22nd birthday my senior year at ACU right after losing my dad. My friends made that such a special birthday in spite of the circumstances.

I remember celebrating with friends in Dallas when I lived there, then here in Nashvegas. Marriage and kids brought a new personality to this day. Even more fun!

Last night Sheryl made the most amazing (early) birthday dinner. We ate and laughed and celebrated. I am so thankful for my family!

On a different note, I had the weirdest small world experience again yesterday. Last week Sheryl and I were watching "Dancing with the Stars" (yes...we were). As we watched I kept saying...I KNOW that voice! The female singer sounded EXACTLY like Beverley Staunton who was my singing partner for the entire time I worked for Norwegian Cruise Line/ Jean Ann Ryan Productions. She had the same phrasing, same kinds of interpretations, etc. I told Sheryl that I just knew it was her. So yesterday, Audra Hudson who was one of the dancers in our show (we've remained close friends through the years--HI AUDRA!!) confirmed that it really IS Beverley! CRAZY small world! She wasn't on last night, but I am hoping that she'll be singing tonight on the finale of the show on ABC.

Today will be spent in meetings mostly...and rehearsal...loooooooong rehearsal tonight for "Sander's Family Christmas". At least I'm getting to spend my birthday with people I really love and got to be awakened this morning by 3 beautiful children carrying balloons! Life is great! (Even tho I am turning 30...again.)

12 comments:

Malia said...

If you're turning 30 again then I'm definitely 29 forever!

Happy Birthday BST!

wstaple said...

Careful, those bladder issues could come back as you get older.....

Have a great birthday!

Wade

Beaner said...

Happy Birthday!!!! If 50 is the new 40 & 40 is the new 30,....then have a Happy 21st!!!

Phil said...

25 forever baby!

Happy one to you, my brotha.

Stephen Bailey said...

Great B-day memories! I think you should make a new one this year. You should mark this birthday by doing something that will last forever. Something that will remind you of this time in your life whenever you see it. I'll let you know if I have any ideas. My mind is a blank canvas right now.

Generous Kitchen said...

Happy Birthday, friend. What a blessing it is to have these relationships as we get older! You're precious to us.

Amy S. Grant said...

Happy Birthday, BST! Don't get meeting-ed out on your special day.

I loved the stories about your earlier celebrations, especially the skating rink!

Jeff said...

Brandon, my friend, I hope you have a wonderful birthday. Not to get all "wind beneath my wings" on you, but I look forward to you keeping me young while we get older. I somehow never feel old when I'm around you - it's more like we're elementary school-ish if anything.

Oh, and you are running up on your limit of your inability to control bodily function stories for the year on your blog. I think you get three. Just thought I'd give you a warning.

Christy said...

Happy birthday friend!! You deserve the best day and I hope you have it.

And please keep my hubby feeling young--he needs fun people like you in his life; crunching #'s for a living can get awfully boring.

Tim Castle said...

Ah, yes, 30. I remember being 30. Vaguely. It was the best six years of my life....

Or was it eight years? Hard to remember.

Happy Birthday, old fella!

Donna G said...

Happy Birthday...

When I first read (OK I was speed reading) about your costume party, I thought you said you went as a "gall-bladder". I laughed and laughed....

believingthomas said...

note to self for Brandon's birthday next year - (Get Brandon a filter between his mind and mouth or fingers so he doesn't tell everything he thinks) now where to get one of those....maybe I'll just get you some depends.