Friday, February 03, 2006

Oh my goodness. What a week! I have had Fresno revisited...with a vengeance. Some stomach flu hit me hard this week and I've been down. I haven't been that sick in years. Of course it would have to be THIS week.

I am writing from the balcony of the old Otter Creek building. Since our offices moved yesterday and the server isn't up yet, the only way I can prepare things for Sunday is from up here at the old building. It's sort of surreal sitting up here. All the hymnals and Bibles are packed so the pews are very empty looking. There's no more hustle-bustle in the halls. Everyone's over at 409 Franklin Road setting up their temporary offices (the office wing is under construction). It's quiet. Quiet enough to think and remember.

I remember a night in 1998 when I tricked Sheryl into coming to the building to help me "set up for Sunday". She walked in and there were candles everywhere. We got engaged that night. (we also drank wine in the sanctuary--and it WASN'T grape juice!)

I remember a day later that year in August when friends and family gathered and we were married here. I remember almost word for word what Mike Cope said that day. I remember Stephen holding me up at one point. I remember Kirk Nofsinger and Jeff Berry singing so beautifully. I remember John Catchings playing the cello with such grace. And then I remember Sheryl walking down that aisle. Beautiful!

I remember the first day each of our 3 kids came to worship here. Precious memories--all of them.

Now I'm sitting typing in scriptures for the last Otter Creek service at this building. It's a sobering thought. We really ARE but a blade of grass--here today and gone tomorrow. The sovereign Lord is from everlasting to everlasting.

Sunday will no doubt be an emotional day. Thanks for your prayers. I hope it will be both a day of remembering AND celebration.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello;
My name is Tiago, I am 18 years old, I am evangelical and I live in Brazil.

I was seeking a music American gospel in the internet and I ended up finding your " BLOG ".
I entered and I saw your friends' pictures of some events also.
As I adore to do new friendships I decided to write for you.
My largest dream is to can one day to go to the United States.
I would like a lot to maintain a contact with you. I would adore to know a little on you.

I don't speak English, I wrote that message through a software.
But if you don't know Portuguese it can me to write in same English that I turn myself.

MY MAIL IS: ti_designer@hotmail.com

A hug and God blesses you.
Tiago Ramos

Generous Kitchen said...

O.K. Can we say something NICE about Fresno!? Goodness!

I'm sorry you've felt so awful...especially this week when there is so much to do. But is there ever really a time you can afford to be sick?

Anyway, just thought I'd check in and be the defender of Fresno. Let's not equate illness with this sweet city...also, In'N'Out Burgers called and said they were sueing you for slander a couple of blogs ago!

Love you.

Rick J said...

What a special time for all of you. I remember in the fall of 98 when we were opening the new Sugar Grove building. The details of our journey as a church family to that location vary a bit from OC's, but I can definitely connect with your feelings. Who knows what new faith adventures God has prepared for you guys. God bless!

Anonymous said...

BST - Those are great memories. I know that Sunday will be a blessed day at OC. Wish we could be there. We look forward to visiting the new Creek. God bless this Sunday.

Keith B

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Sandra--
Of course I don't mean to slam Fresno--my absolute most FAVORITE place to go with ZOE--next to Malibu (and you guys are there too which makes it better!)

I LOVE FRESNO!!!

PS: What is up with blogger today??

Josh said...

I am very interested in you final worship at a place that has held so many rich memories for so many people for so many years. I read in a previous blog that you guys are doing a journey of worship. If at all possible could you please send me the notes or slides or describe your final worship??? It sounds like it will be yet another very rich memory! God bless you, your family, and Otter Creek Church!

you can contact me here: josh@canyonchurch.org

Blessings from Arizona!