Monday, December 05, 2005

Yesterday morning The elders, staff, and praise team at Otter Creek surprised me for my 10 year anniversary as a minister there. I was definitely surprised! Jim Butler and David England came up front and seeing David I knew something was up. Karin Hensley also joined them. The praise team gave me a WAY COOL ipod with streaming video. I can't wait to use it! The church gave Sheryl and me a nice gift that couldn't have come at a better time for us.

As I stood up there thinking about the last ten years I was struck with a sense of how long it's really been. I came there in my mid twenties, single, naive, and uncertain of what God was doing. (Not to mention wondering why in the world He would be leading me back to a CofC!) God has been so good to me over these 10 years. OC has seen my best and worst. I've fallen on my face and they've given me grace. I've experienced some real victories in the Lord and they've stood by me cheering me on.

In that time I dated and married Sheryl. Our wedding was in that very sanctuary. In fact, we got engaged in the sanctuary--another story for another time. Maddie, Ella, and Sam all experienced their first worship times at Otter Creek. They've been blessed by those elders and teachers. My mom is now a member at Otter Creek--and teaching a Sunday morning adult Bible Class on Spiritual Development. What an amazing 10 years! I've made some very close friendships. I've grieved the loss of mentors like Bud Arnold and John Crothers. I've said goodbye to friends too young to die like Shanon Dickerson. (I'll never forget Bud Arnold and Shanon Dickerson's funerals--within months of each other.) I've seen friends come to Christ. I've grieved as friends have said goodbye to their marriages. I've celebrated and with others who've committed their lives to each other in marriage. I've even performed several weddings there. I never would have believed that.

The birth of ZOE happened during those ten years. It has grown into something none of us could imagine and the elders and staff have been so supportive of that ministry. There've been Christmas musicals with the Temple choir, "A Sander's Family Christmas", 7 years of Phil Keaggy and Jeff Berry concerts, Summer Life, VBS, Easter musicals, Randal Wilcher classes, Donald Miller, life groups, hilarious Matt and Emily Little moments, answered prayers...and prayers that seemed to go unanswered.

There've been so many special memories. I praise God for the life, the community, the family and the joy that Otter Creek has brought into my life. Thank you, Lord for 10 special years! Here's to the next 10!

14 comments:

SG said...

I was just thinking that I am not sure I know many if any people our age who have been in the same job for 10 years. WOW! That really is quite a milestone! Congratulations friend!

Phil said...

We've been glad to have you here.

And just know that Kinsey really wanted to go up front with you in second service.

Clarissa said...

Your time there, at least my six years of your ten, has certainly had an impact on my life! Blessings, friend!

Tiffany said...

I have to say, Brandon, you sure scared a lot of us in second service yesterday. You and Sheryl down front with the kids, the elders, G. David.... We all thought you were announcing that you were leaving!

I am so glad you're not. Your ministry, and ZOE especially, have meant so much to me over the last 5 years. Thanks so much for all the hard work you do.

Katey said...

Wow- ten years, that is a long time. Now ten years ago I was... still at Taylor Elementary. Heehee, thought that would make your day! :) I've been impacted by you so much- Congrats!

Craig said...

Well done my good friend!

Anonymous said...

So thankful God allows us to look at really, really, really GOOD LOOKING ministers on Sunday mornings.

wstaple said...

OC has been truly blessed by having you as their worship minister and friend. Congratulations on your 10 years there!

Hoots Musings said...

You are a blessed man!
Well done faithful servant.

Anonymous said...

10 years is long enough. Time to move on.

Daren

Malia said...

Worship is one of the reasons David and I chose Otter Creek as our church home 8 years ago. I know worship is about God and God alone, however, it's much more fulfilling and a joy to do when there is someone leading the worship that just exudes joy and love and a passion for our Father. I'm sure there are Sundays when you're not "feelin it" but since you know its not about you, your ability to work past that and create a worship atmosphere for the rest of us is truly a blessing.

Thank You! And we're looking forward to the next 10 as well.

Brian said...

congrats BST!

Jana said...

Many congrats on a decade at OC...maybe I'll trip over the praise team wires this coming Sunday in honor of you...

Stephen Bailey said...

I'm so proud of you and thankful for the OC family and how they have loved you. SG is right, ten years in any role is a long time, but God has used you in mighty ways! Thanks for your encouragement, your example and your willingness to be used by Him.