Monday, December 26, 2005

We're in Jonesboro, Arkansas with "Fajita" and Gail and their kids. (Fajita--Chris--is married to Sheryl's sister.) The kids are running around like wild Indians. It's so fun to watch them.

I am reminded about Christmases past with the Morses. Josh, Jeremy, and Mary were more like siblings to me than cousins. I loved being with them. I remember one Christmas Josh and I watched Star Wars 27 times. CRAZY! We played hide and go seek and it was always the most fun when my dad was "it". The anticipation was sheer terror. They always had the latest gadget or video or game.

I'm also reminded of Christmases at my Aunt Dot's in the Woodlands, TX. We'd all gather around her old red player piano and sing "Rubber Ducky" and all the standards. Then we'd eat and eat and eat and eat. So many wonderful memories.

I remember Christmases with my Granny--before she died in 1976 (my mom's mom). I always loved being there. They spoiled me. As an older kid, my Aunt Vickie (married to my mom's brother, Rob) introduced the most holy hashbrowned potato casserole. We still make it every year--her recipe.

Christmas is about family. Even the awkward moments are to be treasured. We're living our story--sometimes we forget to take a look around. We're making our family history now! It's such a blast.

Thank God for family! Yesterday Jaz and Jamie came to be family with us. It was fun. Maddie was hilarious with them. She was Chatty Cathy about every part of Christmas morning and then when Jaz decided it was time for a nap--she wouldn't hear of it. She stood over him yelling, "WAKE UP!!!!" We were honored to have them join us.

Otter was a blessing yesterday. There were no childrens' classes or nurseries. It was one BIG family gathering. I loved having the kids with us. We should do that more.

No comments: