Sunday, October 23, 2005

We had an absolutely incredible weekend together on our retreat. The i55 guys did a fantastic job and the time together in prayer and sharing was one of the highlights of my year. Thank you to everyone for your prayers. They were definitely answered! More details on Tuesday.

Great question by "Anonymous" last Friday...
"My question for all of you "leaders" is...when do we, as "followers", speak up?? When is it when we say..'You know, I hear God leading us in a totally different direction....'. When it's five or six "leaders" leading a direction the majority of a congregation does not feel is led by God, do we just follow....or do we speak up????"

My immediate answer is, you speak up! That's why leadership is so tricky. There's this weird balance between leading boldly in Godly leadership and exercising communal discernment. I wonder, however, if this scenario presented by Anonymous is accurate. Typically, when a person feels a certain way, their view is cast in the light of the majority. For instance, how many times have you heard a complaint that goes like this...

"Look, the majority of people feel__________"

"Really? Thank you for bringing that to my attention! Can you give me some names? I'd like to speak to them."

"Well, I can't remember right now, but I know my family feels that way and maybe one other that I can think of."

Now, this is not to belittle "Anonymous" by any means. I think you have a good point. I'd like to hear others weigh in on it. I just think it's easy to paint things in light of our own view like 5 or 6 men versus an entire congregation. Perhaps that's true. If it is, then the problems extend beyond the decisions being made. Communication seems to be needed immediately!

One thing that I do believe is that leadership does NOT mean communication is shut down. Just because someone's in leadership it does not give them free reign to march ahead without regard to the hearts of those they're leading.

Weigh in on this. I'm sure many of you have experienced things like this. What words can you offer?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

The i55 guys are AWESOME! They're one of the great things about living in Irving. Was it the whole band or just a few? Several of them are from Farmer's Branch, where I worship. Glad to hear it went well! Give Katey a hard time for me.

Anonymous said...

If there's a book I'd like to see written and turned into a bestseller it would be something like "How To Lead Like Jesus Even Though You Aren't" or "How To Lead Effectively and Inclusively" or "How To Lead Without Being a Junta"...

I think many people at least feel a twinge of "What part have we in Jesse's son?" in that they feel they have little to no say in the direction a church is going. It's not their church, it's the Elder's and Minister's Church. I believe many end up just looking for a church that they fit in with when they should feel like they have a voice where they are.

-Too Introverted To Rock Any Boats

Keith Brenton said...

I think it's hard for Americans to leave behind the notion of majority rule when we talk about church leadership.

Sometimes the answer needs to be "it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us ...."

But it's a sign of something gone awry when the answer is "Well, that's the way the majority feels about it."

Whether it comes from a solitary member or the church's leadership.

cwinwc said...

As an elder and a Bible Camp Director, I have often been confronted with a complaint either preceded or followed by the phrases, “Lots of people, “or “Many people.” And as you stated, when pressed to find this “gaggle of people” I have yet to have more than 5 folks confirmed. My admonition to folks who share similar concerns would be to go to the “leadership” individually and let the numbers fall where they may. Seems like Jesus had something to say about this aspect conflict resolution in Matthew.
nbilgdnk