Thursday, October 13, 2005

I'm going to borrow from something I wrote last October and edit it a bit for today's entry...

Fourteen years ago today, my father died. That day is embedded in my memory. I had a very real Holy Spirit experience that morning and knew he was not well, so instead of going to the Sunday morning assembly, I went straight to the hospital. He had been fine the day before. Upon my arrival, it was obvious that he was not fine. While there were moments of laughter and sharing with him that day, he was near the end.

Gradually, the word got out and friends began to spill into the room. By that evening, we had college students up and down the corridor praying, singing, whispering and sometimes laughing. So many faces are etched in my memory.

Around my dad's bed were people like my crazy aunt Dot (his sister), my grandmother, my mom, Sally Gary, Paula Agnew, Shane Holland, and others. I was at the foot of his bed watching his labored breathing and rubbing his feet. We were all telling stories and laughing. I know Dad could hear and was probably loving every minute--AND wishing he could interject.

That night, a little after midnight, he took his last breath. I just stared at him. I couldn't believe it was over. He was definitely gone. It was both a deeply spiritual moment and also extremely frightening. I didn't feel ready. I WASN"T ready. It was so surreal.

We left the hospital and the Harold and Jeannette Lipford met us at our house. Brent McCall drove me there and stayed that night. We sat around and talked and I kept feeling like I was outside myself just looking and watching everything going on.

The next day, my roommates and I cried together. Stephen, Craig and Chris had walked with me through much of his illness. I wouldn't have made it without friends like them. Kyle, Shane and Brent had listened to me and eased my fears many times. Paula, Shelly and Trish had prayed so ferverently for him. Mom and I were surrounded with community. The Lorenzes were closer than family to us. They held our arms up.

Days and weeks went by. I dove even deeper into school, covering my pain with trying to make a 4.0 and doing every social activity possible. I had no context for how to deal with something like that. Eventually, it caught up to me. There was community then too. Praise God.

As I look back over the last 13 years, I see how God walks with us--even through the valley of the shadow of death. Even on days when my lack of faith wouldn't allow me to say "I'm not afraid", he was STILL with me. His rod and staff comforted me. He has led my mom and me beside still waters and allowed us to drink from the bounty of His goodness. He has warmed our hearts and filled our emptiness in ways we could never have dreamed.

I don't like it when this date comes around every year, but it forces me to remember how God walked us through such a difficult time. He is good. And...maybe the best thing I learned, He is PRESENT. His abiding presence does not depend on whether we feel Him there or not. He's there. His goodness is not dependent on how we feel about life. He's always good. His faithfulness is not contingent on our faithfulness. He's always faithful. Death is not the final chapter. There's more. He is the Father of the fatherless and He writes our names on the palms of His hands. I am a rich man because of the love He's allowed me to know.

Thanks Dad (and MOM!) for pointing me to Him. You laid a foundation that He has strengthened even through hardship. I miss you, Dad. I wish you were here today. There'd be so much to talk about. So much to laugh about. You'd love Sheryl. She's YOU in so many ways. You'd love Otter Creek. You'd adore these girls. You'd be amazed at this little guy who bears your name. We miss you and thank God for the legacy of faith you left for us.



After Dad died, the Abilene Independent School District built a school and named it after him. Here's a picture-



What's amazing to me is that for the first time in 14 years, there's a new Sam Thomas in our house. There's a new spirit of joy. There's a spirit of adventure implanted genetically by his grandfather and by his Heavenly father. Look at his eyes--ready to take on the world!! God has truly blessed us. Dad--I wish you could see him! He's a gift!

Two nights ago I went into the girls' room to get one last look before bed (it was around 10:30 or so). Maddie was wide awake so I laid on her bed and she asked me when we'd get to see "Poppy". It brought tears to my eyes. I reminded her that he was in Heaven. She said, "I know that, Daddy, but when is he coming back??" Then she began to process some about death and cancer and asked some really good questions. It's both wonderful and painful to talk about it with them. I know they'll experience loss in their lives, but I'd love to protect them from it. They'll know pain and hurt sooner than I'll ever be ready for them to. I just hope they'll hear those words from the 23rd Psalm that they've known since they could talk echoing in their heads.

We love you, Dad! I think about John Mark Hicks' interpretation of Hebrews 11 and think about you joining us in worship...a part of the great cloud of witnesses. What a powerful thought.

Also, my mom has written a moving blog today about my father.

16 comments:

cwinwc said...

What a powerful and lasting legacy, to have a school named after you. Your Dad must have been a special man. As a school teacher, I marvel at how your Dad must have had an impact on the community for a school to be named after him. May God bless you and your memories of your father.

Craig said...

What a great man. What a role model. What great family. Brandon you carry on your Dad's traditions, attitudes and personality so well. It is an honor to be your friend.

Malia said...

Well between your post and your mother's post I'm a blubbering idiot right now!

As I said on Judy's post, thank you for sharing your memories of him here for all of us to read. It is incredibly special.

Stephen Bailey said...

Laughing, crying, giving thanks today for the rubber snakes, the cold marbles, the dummy on the toilet, the insane wig, the lime in my Pepsi, the funnel cakes, the prayers, the cards of encouragement, cold chicken and breast feeding mothers, the laughter, the sly smiles, the ear ringing hugs, the clean shower, the open heart and home, the love of children, the love of learning, the love of God and SO MUCH MORE! To say that Sam would have loved Sheryl and the kids is up for the award for the understatement of the century only rivaled by saying that he would be simply proud of you. I love you my brother!

Jacinda said...

I'm sorry for the pain you feel but also happy that you have such good memories. I didn't know him, but he sounds like a great man!

judy thomas said...

Thanks, Babe for your remembrances. Over and over in the Bible, God asks us to remember--it is an exercise in joy. I think often since I have come to Nashville how much Dad would have loved it--it rains, things grow and everything is beautiful. I can see him puttering around a little farm on Cane Ridge Road enjoying life. But of course, he is in heaven where life has its most penultimate enjoyment.

And thanks to Stephen for remembering some of those prank times. I still have the cold marbles waiting for the next victim.

Kelly Vaughn said...

Brandon,
I appreciate you sharing your heart with us today. Randy and I love this avenue of communication that allows us to feel connected to friends even when we live so far way. We read your blog daily and laugh and cry and take joy in the journey of knowing Christ with you and your family. We followed the anticipation of the Zoe Conference and thought of you and those attending all weekend. If we are ever in America at the right time we would love to attend. We enjoy all of the Zoe CDs and look forward to hearing the new one when we are able to obtain a copy. I am writing today because your post held a memory for me as well. I remember being one in the crowd of people who were standing in the hallway at the hospital. At the time I knew you and your family through my friendship with Trish and Paula. I wanted to be a part of the community of support for a family that was so dear to so many. I praise God with you and your mom for the sweet memories and for the winding road that the Lord has walked with you that has brought you to such a place of peace and tenderness today. Thank you for your authenticity through the years.
Love you Brandon.
Kelly Vaughn

Anonymous said...

Thinking of your sweet family today and remembering with a smile the fake cheese that seemed to show up at the table whenever we had hamburgers at your house. I think I actually fell for it once! :) Love you. Wendy Beth

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, Brandon!!
hugs,
ginger

Hoots Musings said...

That school looked familiar...my daughter lives across the street from it, caddy corner. She is an ACU student and lives in the little gray house.

I am going to send this to her, so she will know the legacy of this school and the man it is named after.

Thank you for sharing and God bless today!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

So many precious memories!! Thank you for all of your kind words, blog family.

Sweet Kelly--you were more than just a friend via others. I remember you being there. Thank you for sharing that today. Wish we could see you guys. Maybe we can come to Africa??

Wendy Beth--Oh my goodness...yes! The fake cheese and the fake roll. He loved those. I am sure I gave it the obligatory eye roll that I always gave it while secretly loving it on the inside. Oh--and he had this horrible ice cube with a fly stuck in the middle. He saved that one for special occasions!

And...Hoots Musings...are you kidding me about the Ken Young thing the other day?? Seriously. PS: Cool that your daughter lives over there.

And--finally, plese be praying for Sheryl's family. Last night her nephew who is actually 30 (son of her oldest brother) died in his sleep. They're still not sure why. Her brother, Shelby, is really hurting. We'd appreciate your prayers for them all.

SG said...

I will keep Sheryl's family in my prayers! How awful!
I have to agree with hoots m on the Ken Young thing...but it isn't so much looks as it is energy, passion and openess.
When we first married Rob and I were very blessed to be in Ken's young families class at Golf Course Road. Ken was sitting by me when Rob was baptised. From the minute I met Ken, he reminded me of you. Rob said the same thing after he met you. When hoots M made that comment the other day I almost "Amen-ed" her for the heart resemblance, not for the red hair and all. :)
I didn't know your Dad that well outside of the funny stories eveyone told about him, Sing Song and your Christmas parties. But just by knowing you and sweet Ms Judy, I know he was a incredible man! Little Sam is so blessed to have the legacy of your Dad in his roots! Saying a prayer for you and yours this bittersweet day.

Hoots Musings said...

Oh my...I love it!
I do think you have the same spirit as Ken.

I go to Golf Course Road SG, but knew Ken years ago when he sang with the Hard Travelers at Lubbock Christian. LOL

Unknown said...

always here for you, bro.

Brad Crisler said...

Ken Young??
That's ridicurus...
Did you say ridicurus??

I was thinking BS looked more like that pointed-hair dude in Rascal Flatts!?

hahah (Polly Shore laugh)

bc

julie said...

Brandon, I didn't know your dad but I would just love to see his face at a Zoe conference and watch his amazement and pride as you lead so graciously a room packed with people worshipping an awesome God. grace, Julie