Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Warning: I need to rant a bit this morning.

Congratulations, Red Cross of Nashville. You are making a city-wide plea for more volunteers. You've advertised on the news, you're sending out mass email, and you're using organizations like Hands-On Nashville to recruit more help. BUT...B-U-T you CLEARLY want to make it as hard as possible for anyone to volunteer. I've taken your dumb online course that took an hour and was basically useless. I've signed your forms--twice! I've registered online. I've also registered through Hands-On Nashville with whom I've already volunteered through NARAS (National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences). And NOTHING. You say each time you'll get back to me and it's been two weeks. Nothing.

Yesterday I got an email from Hands-On Nashville which pled for more volunteers. When I went to the link it was to the Nashville Red Cross. They wanted me to take this online training course again, which I've already done, promising that at the end of it there was a way to report for duty, which there isn't. Then, when I followed the other link to training sessions, the only date posted was in the past. There was no note of instruction except one saying, "This date is in the past."

I've even been to your shelters. The only way I got my foot in the door was by playing the "clergy card". The directors of the shelters claim there's no need for more help. If that's true, then why the plea for more help?

I knew that interest in helping would wane. I figured that financial support would dwindle. I wondered if the immediate "romantic" idea of helping would pass. But, I have to really hand it to you guys for making it even more impossible for those who are still interested in helping.

Thankfully, there are many, MANY others who have gotten frustrated and started their own helping organizations for real families in need. For those who are looking to help and help NOW, that is definitely the way to go. It's disappointing because, at least in Nashville, it seems you have to be a dectective to actually meet one of these families and try to give them assistance. And now they're saying we're getting 3000 more people?

Thank you for the assistance you're giving. Thank you for the food, clothing, beds, and counseling you're providing. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must feel. But, for the LOVE, get it together before making an appeal for more help. It's completely ridiculous. And that's all I have to say about that.

Now, I must go and eat some Baja Burrito and soothe the savage beast.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

PHEW,
Glad you got that off your chest!!
Actually, I have heard that from others too!! It is too bad, and disorganization seems to be the key word in this whole mess. I am thankful for the churches and smaller groups that have jumped in to do it on their own. I hope the burritos helped soothe you, but I would like to warn your office mate to perhaps clear out this afternoon, you know, in case there are any ill effects!!

Brandon, I really enjoy reading your blog and even tho I do not respond often, I read it almost everyday. I like the reality of it, and the honesty in which you write.

take care,
hugs
ginger

Deb said...

Hey, this rant was well-called for! And Ginger's comment 'sparked' an idea ...

Next time eat the Baja Burritos FIRST, and then go approach these officious incompetants. If you want the Red Cross to hit the deck, it's time to start using that 'Flagellance Card', buddy!

Jana said...

Have you mentioned this frustration to anyone at the RC? Or maybe one of the news channels?!?

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Ginger--
All I can say is...bean are the magical fruit...

and that's all i have to say about that.

Rick J said...

Even as far away as California, we've experienced a little frustration in working with existing agencies. Maybe groups who are helping are kinda like pruning roses... new growth produces the best blooms. And, come to think of it, roses sure smell better than...

From Eastside we're sending the dollars our folks gave to 3 Houston area churches (Sugar Grove, Spring Woodlands and Clear Lake). We have personal connections there, and they are really "hands on" with helping folks right now.

Sarah said...

I can't find anything about this on the internet, but someone mentioned that James Dobson recently blasted the Red Cross for being "anti-Christian" and refusing to work with any religious organization other than Christian Scientists. Perhaps your time, energy, and efforts would be better spent maintaining what your own church is doing.

Personal note -- I, obviously, know very little about Red Cross' religious affiliations, but they were a God-send to my family when our house flooded in Abilene. We have had several hot meals from the Red Cross. They do good work -- I'm just sorry they make it so difficult for people to join them!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I'm sure the Red Cross has been of great help to a great number of people. Personally, I prefer the approach and communication of the Salvation Army. There's a different feel to them and I like what they're doing.

Dwiggy444 said...

Oh Brandon...my heart aches! I'm sure there are many, many others like you who would love to help but can't figure out how to help and/or can't figure out how to cut through the miles of red tape between them and the hurting. I can't figure out what the biggest tradgedy is -

Is it the devastation and destruction waged by Hurricane Katrina?

OR

Is it the inefficiency, ineptitude and utter inability of the corporations and organizations in this great nation of ours to get together and get stuff done?

We claim to be "the greatest nation on the earth", the inventors of the Internet and the autombile, etc, etc, and then we let 1,000s of people starve to death and/or live in horrible conditions for days and days in downtown New Orleans (and in our back alleys, and in places all over the country).

We claim to be a "Christian Nation", a nation that cares for its own, but we can't seem to agree on HOW to be Christian and HOW to care and or how long and in what way and with who, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe this democracy thing isn't all it's cracked up to be after all? :-)

courtney said...

it's a shame that too often policy and bureaucracy prevail over common sense.

Jeff said...

Brandon--if you do decide to play the flatulence card and the folks at Red Cross get upset, remember to tell them, "To air is human!"