Monday, September 19, 2005

There is no way I can even describe what happened yesterday at Otter Creek. In fact, to even attempt to get into all of it would somehow cheapen it. Suffice it to say, it was an incredible morning. We had multiple responses. It's like the Lord is really lifting the veil on brokenness and renewal is happening in ways that are blowing my mind.

I sat next to Jeremy and Hailey Hiett during first service. As I listened and then saw people pouring out their hearts before the Lord I was taken back about 8 years ago before I was married when Jeremy and I were roommates. Jeremy walked with me through a very difficult time and showed me the unconditional love of Jesus. It was a powerful moment reliving that yesterday.

Last night at life group we had similar experience. So many people sharing from the depths of their hearts in a truly confessional way. I just can't get over what God is doing in our midst.

Have you ever noticed that confession breeds confession? The enemy tells us in the recesses of our minds that if we confess, it will drive people away. "If they knew how you REALLY are, no one would love you," he says. The reality is, some people do respond like that, unfortunately. However, when the Spirit is moving, what happens more times than not is that confessing allows others to share their struggles too. We're seeing that right now and I praise GOD for it.

Today we went to Granny White Park and spent the afternoon with our friend Shelly and her daughter, Caroline. Shelly is the short blonde who sings in Point of Grace. Weird story, but we go way back to movie nights with Jeff Berry and Heather (another POG girl). The weirder thing is that long before they were married or even thought about it, her husband, David, and I became friends in early in 1990 when I interned at Reunion Records. Later, after moving back to Nashville, I discovered that Sheryl was working for him at the William Morris Agency. Go figure. Such a small, small world. He and Shelly later married and then had Caroline. Caroline and our Ella are almost the same age. It was fun to catch up and spend some time hanging out. We also took the jogging stroller so that the girls and I could go for a little run. Bless my old fat body. I'm trying to get back in shape. I know, I've been saying that for a while, but it seems this time it's actually happening. Slowly but surely. Why is it so easy to put weight on and so difficult to take it off?

My heart is full of praise for what's happening in our lives and in the lives of our friends and church family. Although there are many, many difficult situations and it seems that some lives are coming unraveled, I see the hand of God working in our midst in ways I haven't seen in YEARS. And, I'm finding the freedom to be more open about my own struggles. God is good. I told Sheryl that it seems like almost overnight something happened and all of a sudden we ministers are overwhelmed with the things that we really SHOULD be about. I LOVE IT.

Praise God for His timing and for the Spirit who keeps reminding us that this world is NOT our home. Therefore, anything we seek to fill us up from this world will only hurt us or distance us from the true Source of Life. It's so much easier to write that than live it, but I'm finding such strength in community to walk that road. For that, I'm so grateful!

4 comments:

Phil said...

As an OC member, it has been good to see God working and hearts being broken. I pray for healing and for those hearts to be rebuilt in the image of Christ.

I hope and pray that this is building momentum and not just a blip on the radar. I wonder sometimes if it's easier to confess the "big" sins like what's been happening, rather than the little things like greed, envy, and lust that are perfectly acceptable in Western society.

Stephen Bailey said...

Joel talked about Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well on Sunday. We set up water stations around the room and gave people the opportunity to take a cup of water to someone and encourage/pray with/confess to them. At the end of that time we had two people spontaneously take the mic and share with the whole group. Confession does breed confession. May it burst forth and defeat Satans lies.

Stephen Bailey said...

BTW Karen Beth Goad, I don't know what part of the metroplex you live in, but our church is in Trophy Club and we need more people who are willing to honestly lead out in living confessional lives. www.lakecitieschurch.com.

Jennifer said...

Nashville sure is amazing. As much of a Texan as I am, it's definitely be the only place I would willingly move to. And while "Come back to the Promised Land" could definitely be misconstrued as encouraging her to come back to Texas (okay, so maybe it was encouraging her to come back...but to Dallas, not Abilene,) I was really trying to encourage her to not be homesick with the verse about going to Tennessee. :) Oh, also...if you could work on a record deal for me, I'd be all about bringing a large portion of the DFW area with me to Nasvhille.

And thank you so much for posting on my blog. You're the most famous person who has ever posted on it. Can I have your virtual autograph? I wrote a little note to Donald Miller on it once, but judging from the lack of response, I don't think he's found it yet.