Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Immediate needs in Nashville--
There is a convoy leaving this afternoon and then again on Saturday from the Crieve Hall Church of Christ. They have specific needs. If any of you in Nashville have time to run by the store during lunch and drop a sack off at CH, please do. They are leaving today at 4pm.

Needs:--Mattresses
--sheets, pillow cases
--Hand towels
--plastic utensils
--non-perishable foods
--cleaning supplies of all kinds
--baby food
--diapers/wipes
--Children's clothing

There's also another drop in Cool Springs. If anyone is interested, email me for directions. They are taking clothing of all varieties today and tomorrow.

Chad Jarnigan and I are working to plan some sort of worship night/benefit for the Hurricane survivors who are here. (Does anyone else think "refugee" is a media term? I hate that term. While they ARE refugees, it only seems to add to their despair to call them by that term.) We're contacting other artists to try and plan something encouraging for these folks in Nashville...soon to be over 20,000.

The needs only grow daily. Here's a thought about housing from Sheryl...it's a definite issue when you have kids. While it sounds bad, we still have to be careful and discerning. However, if there's someone else you're close to who is willing, move in together and allow a family or two to take the empty home for a while. Some of you may be finding success with housing surviving families, but we are running into real problems here with the Red Cross. They don't even want to talk about individual families opening their homes for fear of liability. And I can understand that. So...all that to say, there ARE ways to still help while being wise and discerning.

Yesterday Ella was going all over the house saying, "We need to give them that piano. They don't have a piano. We need to give them this high chair. They don't have a high chair. We need to give them our van. We could all ride in Daddy's car and baby Sam could just ride in the back (the hatch)." So cute. We have a real opportunity to teach and show our kids what it means to give of ourselves. Last night Maddie was upset at some of the stuffed animals we were collecting to take with the clothing. Sheryl told her to look around at the playroom full of toys and think about it. That did the trick. This morning she told me that she dreamed that someone came in and took all her toys away. Then she said..."It wasn't really that bad." HA!

Keep sharing your stories and ways to help. I know, at least for me, it's very inspiring!

9 comments:

courtney said...

Cool stuff going on at the churches in Nashville! I hope they collect above and beyond what is needed!

This morning I was talking with a co-worker and I innocently, though naively I suppose, said "refugee". Man! You would have thought I had said "fire" in a crowded theater. I certainly didn't mean anything demeaning or derogatory by "refugee". I assumed because they had no home and they were seeking refuge elsewhere to escape danger that they were refugees. I know better now.

However, I later read an article that said they don't want to be reffered to as "displaced" or "evacuees" either because it sounds too clinical.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

How about "Survivors"? Seems to communicate a level of honor for what they've been through.

SG said...

There are two or three families at Kolby's school who have taken in family from New Orleans... they call them "evacuees." That is more fitting than refugees...or at least I hope it is!

Rick J said...

(sigh)... I wonder if this is the first major disaster in the world where it became critical to use PC terminology to describe folks who have lost everything...

Beaner said...

If I had lost everything in my life EXCEPT my life, I don't think I'd be worried about being offended. I'd be busy thinking about WAY more important things. It's probably OTHER people (like us) who are actually debating the issue.

Katherine said...

I heard a guy on the news the other day say, "I am not a refugee...I am an American!!"

It put a whole new perspective on it for me (see my post today)...

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Beaner--
YES, YES, YES. So true. I didn't mean to spark a debate about what to call them. PLEASE PEOPLE--who the heck cares? Just serve them.

Jeff said...

We do have to call them something--but I just can't stand it when the words are pronounced WRONG. Our local public radio accouncer called them e-vac-u-ays this morning! Sorry, we anglicized that one long ago!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Maybe he was Cajun.