Thursday, September 15, 2005




Before we get started today...guess where the picture on the front of our new CD came from. The correct guess, and it's unreal, will get a free CD. Paul Johnson gets the credit for noticing this one.




There are several books I'd like to write someday. I've not sure when that will ever happen and really only a couple of these are viable.

1. I'd like to write a book about embarrassing moments. I mean, come on, who is more qualified? On that note, this morning a friend sent me an email with an attachment from someone else. The attachment was quirky and I made some comments about it and ended up sending it to THAT person instead of my friend. Perfect. Good job, BST. Some things never change.

2. I want to write a children's book about the reverse of growing up--or maybe the beauty of being a child. Maddie would always say things like, "Daddy, when you get little you can sleep on a bed like mine!" Or, "Daddy, when you get little, you can play with toys like these." There's a book in there somewhere.

3. I'd like to write a book about grief. I remember going through such a rough time after losing my dad...my goodness, such a rough time. I remember going to the Christian bookstore and searching for hours for something that I could identify with. The only books on dealing with grief that were available were, in my opinion, completely retarded. I've had some email correspondence over the years with other friends going through grief struggles. A part of me wants to write a book and call it "Letters to Tony" (or some other made-up name). I think that when I was in the middle of that it might have helped to read the real struggles of others to know I wasn't alone. Maybe a peek into someone's journey to healing could be of help. Who knows?

4. Then there's always the worship book. I have lots of ideas here. Maybe a tie between some passages in Isaiah and Matthew. But, the market is so saturated with worship-type books. I'm not sure that we really need another one.

5. And lastly, I'd love to write a book of collected stories and ideas on the missional church...practical ways to get the church off their collective butts and into the community. It seems to me there are a number of books talking about the importance of it and even some that share stories, but I think we need some good, solid ideas and suggestions. I'm not saying I'm the one to write that one. I just really love the idea.

On a similar note, Teresa Kelly at Otter Creek has orchestrated an adopt a school program for one of Nashville's inner city schools, Kirkpatrick Elementary. Different groups are adopting each class room. For instance, the "mature" classy group who call themselves the "Ya-Ya's" are taking the entire 1st grade. They'll split up the classes so that each of them will be a room mother to one class. I am a room father to a 4th grade class. I'll be getting to spend this year with Ladarius, Santangila, Mercedes, Ty'Quisha, DeQuan, and Cavelle...to name only a few. The goal is to get involved in the lives of these kids and families and to provide an opportunity for all Otter Creekers to get outside themselves. We're partnering with an African American church in the inner city to provide a Thanksgiving dinner in November. That should be fun. In fact, once I get started with my weekly room parent stuff, I'm SURE I'll have some good stories. Don't worry, I'll only share what's appropriate to share. (well, "appropriate" is subjective, now isn't it?)

Lastly, and I know this is long. Sorry. Here's a blurb for all you OC folks out there. This is from Doug. We need your resources TODAY! I'll sign off here. Blessings!

All of the household furnishings and furniture donated and warehoused at the King House are already 100% depleted and placed with some of Katrina’s relocating families. Otter Creek has furnished 4 apartments completely but more donations are needed desperately. The requests for more are still coming and the King “Warehouse” is empty. Another 16 apartments have been donated and families are ready to take occupancy but these families will need everything for their new homes: furniture, beds, linens (kitchen, bed & bath), kitchen ware, lamps, EVERYTHING. Please take donations to the King House as soon as possible. If you cannot deliver your items, please call the church office to arrange for pick up. May God be glorified through these efforts.

Thank you, Otter Creek family, for all you do!

12 comments:

Deana Nall said...

It's equally difficult to find non-stupid sympathy cards.

There is a book called "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road" by Neil Peart -- he's the drummer for the rock band Rush. The book is more of a diary he kept in the years following the deaths of his teen-aged daughter (car accident) and wife (cancer). Both deaths happened within a year of each other. He's agnostic, so don't look for any Christian insight. But the book still offers an interesting perspective of the journey through grief.

Tim Castle said...

Oh, wow... I recognized the picture. How dramatic is that? I'm not saying anything about it, because I already have my CD.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the theme for the conference this year, "In Christ Alone." What will my life look like when I'm placing all of my trust in ONLY Jesus? Not financial security, not the respect of others, not emotional well-being, but in Jesus alone? What will our churches look like when we get to that point together? Maybe like the church we idealize from the description in the last part of Acts 2.

I agree with you on books about worship. We need to talk about and do more about living out Christ's love for the world, and use our assembly times to fuel that. And instead of writing books, maybe we should be doing the things we feel we need to write about; wouldn't it be more useful?

Anonymous said...

I saw Harry Connick Jr with that statue during one of his Today Show stints last week.

He said trees had fallen all around it in the courtyard at the St. Louis Cathedral, yet it stood unscathed

Has to be a message in there from someone...

Kathryn

Jacinda said...

What OC is doing with the elementary school is wonderful! Being a former school teacher and the parent of an elementary child (although not in an inner city school) I think it's a wonderful idea! I have been volunteering once a week for Gracie's class and Chris is signed up to be a volunteer as well. They are trying to get lots of positive male role models. Wonderful, wonderful idea OC has with this project!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

And the winner is....

ROB SELLERS! Good job.

Phillip--you were close, but not specific enough.

More on this picture tomorrow.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

ooops--Rob--email me and tell me where to send your CD, bro!

Beaner said...

That picture story has kinda freaked me out a bit! Before I knew that, I had a video concept of "A Living Prayer" with images of New Orleans & it's victims as the background. Coincidence? Now I hope to hear more about how this current ZOE release could be used alongside this disaster as a tool to pointing people to our true hope in Christ - alone!

julie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peggy N Texas said...

Well I was too late to play in this contest!

I thought I better play again, since I have not received my CD from the first contest yet!????!!!!

So...good luck Rob on getting your CD.

I am still anxiously waiting for mine and will continue to wait. You have my address, BST but if you need again, I will be happy to e-mail it. I was a co-winner. Did I maybe get the plastic wrap and she got the CD? :)

Sounds like a great plan for OC. We have adopted a family and we are having a shower for them. They will register their needs and wants and we will purchase and have fun giving them the shower. They have a 5 week old baby!!!!! Yikes! I can't even imagine.

Thanks, Peggy

Sarah said...

I may beat you to writing this one, but what about a combo of two of your ideas and write a children's book for dealing with grief. When my mother-in-law, who my (then) 5 and 7 year old children were VERY close to, was dying of cancer, I tried to find books for the kids that would talk about such a subject. They don't exist as far as I know. I know it's not exactly story-time material, but kids are forced to deal with such on a regular basis and their literature should reflect that as much as our literature does.

And, as a former teacher and currently working for Big Brothers Big Sisters -- your church has chosen a fabulous way to impact lives by adopting a class. I would love to see the Ya-Ya's in action in first grade! :-)

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Wowser. Sorry bout that Peggy. Yes--I owe you. Send me your address. Believe it or not, it's not readily accessible. Thanks! I promise, it's on its way!

Peggy N Texas said...

I sent you my addres via e-mail. Thanks again. I am anxious to hear the whole CD.

Have a great time at the conference. I wish I could be there....maybe next year.

Peggy