Wednesday, August 10, 2005


Today we all went to lunch as a staff--all 17 of us (including interns). We created quite the scene at PF Changs. We went to wish Trina well. Trina has been on staff here for 2 1/2 years as an admin assistant and communications coordinator. I am really so sad that she's leaving. But we had a blast at lunch. Pictured left to right: Vicky Atnip (lovely, Vicky), Lee Ann Rice, Emma Phillips, Trina Gehl, and Jordon House.

Sorry for not being the best blogger this week. There've just been too many things eating at me that are not bloggable that it's been hard to even want to write about anything else.

Last night Maddie could tell I was sad and I told her I had a hard day. She kept asking me questions about it--so sweet! (This was at bed time and I was on her bed with her...so it could have partially been to stall :) ) I just told her that sometimes Mommies and Daddies have hard days too. We get sad, we get frustrated, we feel tired--just like she does. As I was saying this a tear slipped out of my eye and she reached up and wiped it. That was all it took. I was smiling at her sweetness but definitely shedding more than one tear at that point. Maddie took my arm and began to "scratch" it (softly). She said, "Daddy, I can tell you a Poppy story. That will cheer you up." So she proceeded to make up a Poppy story about the fair that was so cute and made me laugh and truly did cheer me up. Sometimes it feels weird being vulnerable in front of them. There definitely IS a filter there and should be, but I also don't want them to be able to say that they never saw real emotion from us. I think it helps them know that it's ok.

The ZOE Conference is filling up FAST. If you want to come, please register. I was SHOCKED at how full it already is. I want everyone to be able to come. Maybe one day we'll be able to have it in a place where we can all fit. The max this year is 1200. Registration is somewhere near 800 as of yesterday. That's crazy!

Tonight, Chris Peck is speaking to us at TGIWednesday. Chris grew up in this church but got lost in drugs and alcohol. He overcame them and now runs a ministry to surfers in Florida. It's going to be a cool night!

Thanks for the words of encouragement and prayer. When we head of for St. John, I'll also be sure to write a sticky note so as to not forget Baby Sam. That just goes to show what kind of week it's been. Communication--it's not rocket science. Even though I have a degree in communication, I still botch it up all the time. However, it can not be overstated that communication in churches, in families, in business--is one of the MOST important things. When we fail at that it gives the enemy a foothold. I'm guilty of it a lot of times but this week I've been on the other end of it. It's not fun. Communication breeds trust. And the opposite is also true--no communication can breed distrust. This week I am dealing with my very raw, flawed human response to being on the receiving end (or non-receiving end as the case may be) of all this. I know there have been times when I've made others feel the way I've felt this week and it has really made me stop and think about how I can try harder. We're all flawed. It's just that when those flaws hit head-on, it can really hurt. Praise God for Sheryl who loves me and seems to always know the very right thing to say--even if it's only a hug. I am so blessed!

Peace of Christ to you today.

1 comment:

Jacinda said...

Brandon,
Can you check out my blog for today and tell me what you know about the situation? (my first post for today?)

I think my cousin that I spoke of goes to Otter Creek, and I was wondering if you had any more information than what I have heard from my family?

thanks