Wednesday, August 03, 2005

These pictures were taken yesterday in Sam's room. I like to call this next little series of pictures, "A Day in the Life of Samuel Scott Thomas".
















Baby Sam is thinking..."Ugh--you're squishing me! Hey--hold my head up, please! Um...can somebody please help me??" and finally, "Look, here's how I see it guys (speaking to Maddie and Ella)--you can hold me as long as you aren't too rough or too out of control. I mean, come on, I am only 8 weeks old. Comprende?"

Ahhh--the joys of brotherhood he has in front of him! As you can see, there's no shortage of love from his sisters. It just cracks me up sometime pretending what he could be thinking. It's usually, GOOD GRIEF--get a grip, people!

Now, on to the news you're probably wondering about. Sheryl did really well yesterday in her procedure. It went fast. Basically, there's an artery blocking the urator so the doctor put a stint up there that will stay for a week. 2 weeks from now he'll look at the kidney to see if it's working. If it is, he'll re-route the urator over the vessel. If it's not, he'll remove the kidney. So--please keep praying. Sheryl is in discomfort today, as you can imagine. She can't take pain killers because of nursing--so fun. Please pray that she can get some rest today and feel better.

Couple of other stories for you. Sunday night we had a great time together at Life Group. During prayer request time, I was sharing about Sheryl's surgery and turned to some new friends who were visiting (they are really seeking the Lord but still haven't lost their sometimes salty vocabulary) and said, "Basically, Sheryl has a kidney the size of a football." One of the guys said, "DAY-UM!" and all the air was sucked out of the room. We all laughed and I replied, "Yeah, that's basically what I thought too." Now, that's a classic Life Group moment.

As long as we're rated PG today, I don't know how Ella can be so girly one minute and so Bevis and Butthead the next. They are both into the Annie story right now. I tell it to them at bedtime and we sing some of the songs. (It's actually a GREAT tool for talking about hope and how to treat other people--ie: Annie was sad, had no parents, etc, but sang about hope. AND--Ms. Hannigan treated Annie unfairly but Annie acted with kindness..etc) The very first night we began this little tale I sang the song, "Tomorrow" that we all know. We got through the second line (bet your bottom dollar) and Ella was over in her bed grunting in laughter..."huh, huh, huh 'bottom', you said bottom!" Maddie never gets that stuff. So--they always want to sing it and after much explanation as to what "bottom dollar" means, they can almost make it through that part without losing it. They are like 8 yr old boys. For the love.

Sheryl's parent left today. It was great having them here. We all played cards last night with my mom. What fun! We are so blessed to have loving families. I keep trying to emphasize that to the girls--not everyone enjoys the treasures we have in family and love. I'm so grateful.

Tonight Father Strobel is speaking to us. He, along with an Otter Creeker, began the Room in the Inn program in Nashville years ago. It now involves many different churches and clothes, houses and feeds hundreds of men throughout the cold months of the year. Tonight we'll be hearing about some new opportunities. I am really excited about it.

Have a great day, fellow bloggers.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing with us about Sheryl! I've been checking your blog every 30 minutes since yesterday (not thru the night!) waiting for some news! The Riggs family in Abilene loves you and will continue to pray for Sheryl's health and your family as you bless others so richly.

Karen said...

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one checking for news of Sheryl. Thanks for letting us know how she is. We'll continue to pray for her healing.

Deb said...

I add my thanks to Debbie's and Karen's. I hate it that Sheryl has to be in such discomfort. We know that God holds her in His healing hands, though.

Precious, precious pictures! Ilove that look on Sam's face with Ella hodling him (is she Sheryl's Mini-Me, or what??). Love reading these endearing stories of your family.

Love ya!

Deb said...

Yes, the word is 'hodling', a form of 'to hodle', which means: to hold while cuddling ... without slippage!

;)

Unknown said...

BST - what I would have given to see your head tilt to the side as the "DAY-UM" comment flew out........you would have looked at me trying not to smile and then stared at the ceiling as to not make any more eye contact..........classic!

Praying for Sheryl

Gem said...

We have 2 girls and a boy as well, about the same age differences. He is getting his own back now, at age 22 months, with hugging them to distraction and following them around non-stop!

Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

Thanks for the update on Sheryl. I'll be praying for her. Thanks even more for the day-um and bottom stories. I had a good giggle about those. Somehow the fact I'm 36 and I still giggle about bottoms makes me smile b/c I'm thankful I'm not too serious yet. Having 2 boys makes my wife nervous b/c of all the crudeness that takes place already in our house and the oldest one is only 4! Oops!! Love ya brother!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update we are keeping you all in prayer.

Funny stuff about bottom dollar. That's one of the many joys of parenthood, wondering just what will come out of their mouths next!

SG said...

Sweet, sweet pictures! Praying all will go well with Sheryl. I get the kidney thing, OUCH! Hoping all goes well and is as painless as possible.

Katherine said...

Great pictures-how fun...and you truly are blessed!!! I think that I come to realize more and more each day how incredibly blessed I have been throughout my entire life-He just seems to keep giving and giving!!

Praying that everything turns out well with Sheryl-that has got to be painful-thanks for letting us know, I too have been wondering!! God bless~