Wednesday, August 31, 2005

So much devastation in the Gulf from hurricane Katrina. It's heart wrenching. Every time we pray, the girls insist on us praying for the children who are suffering. They really don't know the extent, but I'm glad the Spirit is laying it on their hearts. Horrific pictures. It's hard not to be obsessed watching the news.

I had a great visit with Adam Stunkle today--campus minister at Lipscomb. He's an Otter Creeker and I just love that guy's heart. It was encouraging to hear what they are planning and doing in the lives of students there.

After coffee, I met Chad Jarnigan for lunch. Chad and I met through the blog world. He is the youth worship pastor at the People's Church in Franklin. He's also the lead singer for Among Thorns. Cool guy. We had a great discussion about church--what it is and isn't and what it CAN be. We're hoping to start a small group of worship guys to spark transformation in each other and in our churches. Check out his blog (linked to the right).

Tonight is our last TGIWednesday. It's a preview of the school year Wednesday night service called Vespers. It's basically a mix between an Emergent and a contemplative service. Lee Camp is speaking tonight. I can't wait!

Tomorrow morning Sheryl will check into Baptist Hospital at 5:30am. Please be in prayer for us at 7:30 as the surgery begins. Her parents will be here and my mom is here and there are several Life Group people helping. So there will always be several people helping manage the house and the kids. Praise God for community!

Here's a song off that Lincoln Brewster CD I mentioned. It's called Surrender (by Marc James). JV's playing keys tonight and Amanda, Philip and I are singing. The words seemed especially appropriate for me today.

Verse 1
I’m giving You my heart
And all that is within
I lay it all down
For the sake of You my King
I’m giving You my dreams
I’m laying down my rights
I’m giving up my pride
For the promise of new life

(chorus)
I surrender all to You, all to You
I surrender all to You, all to You

Verse 2
I’m singing You this song
I’m waiting at the cross
And all the world holds dear
I count it all as loss
For the sake of knowing You
For the glory of Your name
To know the lasting joy
Even sharing in Your pain

(chorus)
I surrender all to You, all to You
I surrender all to You, all to You

Have a great rest of the week. I'll try to post updates as soon as I can.

13 comments:

Scott Hall said...

Brandon,

Dina and I will be sure to lift up Sheryl in our prayers that the God of all healing will restore her body to function the way that he created it to function.

God bless,
Scott

Malia said...

lots of prayers for Sheryl, you and the kids...see you tonight

Donna G said...

Will be praying...

Deb said...

Continuing to pray for Sheryl ... God give you both peace as she is wheeled in and then out of the surgery!

Love ya!

Dwiggy444 said...

Praying for you, Sheryl and the whole family. God has done amazing things through you both and I am confident that He's got even bigger and better things planned in the years ahead!!

Drew Battistelli said...

Brandon... when you get a chance can you respond to the email I sent you. Thanks! I know you are SO busy with Sheryl (GOD IS THERE) and your family.

Matt Elliott said...

First heard "Surrender" at a Promise Keepers conference probably four years ago; it's still one of my absolute faves. Odd that you should mention it today -- for some reason, I've been singing it in my head over the past few days even though I haven't heard it in forever. Weird!

Matt Elliott said...

We'll be praying for Sheryl, too, Brandon. You can count on that.

Jana said...

Sheryl is in my thoughts today...

By the way, for anyone interested in housing Gulf Coast evacuees, sign up at www.shareyourhome.org.

Beaner said...

Praying this morning.....

wstaple said...

Brandon,

Our family's prayers are with you guys during Sheryl's surgery and her recovery.

We LOVE IT when Chad leads worship at TPC! It's apparent that his heart is completely in worship when he's leading. He's an amazing guy!

SG said...

I've been out of blog land for a while and missed you! Definitely thinking of Sheryl today and saying prayers my friend! Keep us posted as best you can. Love you guys! Steph

Phil said...

For those interested, the church said that Sheryl came through the surgery fine and will be in the hospital the next couple of nights. They're grateful for the prayers and continue to request them.