Sunday, July 03, 2005



The kids with uncle Chris (Fajita) and Kiki




What's a celebration without cotton candy??


Last night we went to Smyrna to their 4th of July celebration with bands playing and fireworks exploding. It was really fun. Though we got home late, it was fun to see the kids' faces as the fireworks broke into multi-colors in the sky. Maddie and Ella loved it--except for the "noise".

I always love a celebration. I like celebrating birthdays too. Yesterday we celebrated 2 birthdays--Maddie's and our country's. I don't have to love the USA more than God. I don't have to approve of our government's policies. I don't have to debate whether we can or can't burn a flag--in order to enjoy a good 4th of July celebration.

Having said that, I got an email from a friend this week (who was equally as gagged) with a picture of Jesus draped in an American flag. YUCK! It wasn't the presence of the American flag with Jesus that disgusted me. It was the ABSENCE of the flags from every other nation. Jesus is King. His Kingdom is not of this world. He is Lord of all nations, all tribes, all people. His love crosses boundaries we have never even considered. Praise His name!

Here's our Order of Worship for this morning. In John 8 we see Jesus pretty angry. We see the religious leaders pretty frustrated. Here's a question--how did God's Son...who was so controversial, holy, and convicting...end up having so many tepid followers?? Sometimes I wonder if the term "Christian" isn't completely offensive to our Holy Father who gave His Son for our freedom. We wear that title so flippantly. In the Bible belt it can even be more of a social or political title.

May God bless us all as we lift up His name today. None of us are perfect. Praise Him for accepting imperfect offerings. I am so thankful that He does not treat us as we deserve.

Order of Worship

Welcome—Tim Woodroof
Family Prayer
Meet and greet

Praise and Worship—BST
--Doxology
--Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
Reading
--A New Anointing
--Days of Elijah
Prayer
--I Will Never Be the Same

Message—Tim Woodroof
--Jesus Lover Of My Soul
--I Will Change Your Name

Supper
Offering

Ministry Moment
Birthday Sunday
Elder’s Close
--Lord, You Have My Heart

3 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

'Tis a sad day indeed when Jesus doesn't realize that wearing an American flag is really poor flag etiquette!

He can wear whatever He wishes, of course; but I must confess that I tend to picture Him with better taste.

Tell Fajita hey for us!

High Power Rocketry said...

Crazy, I generally didnt think there were any real images of Jesus, and that man made images or statues of god were totally forbidden! :) But I wouldnt want to impose on what others like to do...

Anyway, getting off my soap box, great blog, keep it going!

High Power Rocketry said...

Crazy, I generally didnt think there were any real images of Jesus, and that man made images or statues of god were totally forbidden! :) But I wouldnt want to impose on what others like to do...

Anyway, getting off my soap box, great blog, keep it going!