Sunday, May 22, 2005

It was a great day at the Creek. We were in John 5 where Jesus makes some extremely bold claims about himself--claims that many people have a hard time swallowing. Searching, asking questions, and digging deeper into spiritual matters is a great thing. I think even having to wrestle with the question, "Is Jesus really who he says he is?" is a great thing to struggle through. It helps us land on our own spiritual feet. It helps us own our belief. It allows us to move on to something better and more exciting. However, it seems that that question seems to be a stumbling block for people. Some people I love deeply are struggling through those issues even now. I guess faith is like life--fragile, ever changing, and full of highs and lows. But that's why it's called faith--isn't it? Being certain of things unseen? There isn't much call for faith in general these days. Usually we see and get what we want. The whole idea of being certain of things unseen seems almost ridiculous. Maybe that's a consequence of our culture. I just know that when I think about that definition of faith it makes me realize how timeless that truth really is.

Tonight we had life group--small. Though small, it was really awesome. I love those times when the sharing is intimate and more personal. I'm thankful for what God is doing in our group.

Maddie has been the major song writer this week. At every available moment she is making up songs about her day, clothing, books, or pictures. Tonight she was reading "Miss Fannie's Hats" or something like that. In the book there was a picture of a church building. I caught her sitting on her bed with that page opened. She had her eyes close and her hand in the air and she was singing these words, (don't judge her theology)

"You live in the church, that's where we praise you
the mommies and daddies sing praises to you
We love you."

Now, I'm not about to stop her song to tell her that God lives in our hearts not the church building! It was so sweet, it made me want to cry. She was really into it too. She had her eyes closed and was really emphasizing the words. I told her today that some people write songs for their job. She said maybe she would do that too.

Sheryl goes to the doctor in the morning and we should know more about the trajectory from there. Overall, she's looking great and feeling great. Thanks for your prayers. We attribute her good health and comfort to the many prayers on her (our) behalf. Thank you!

9 comments:

k2 said...

bst,
ryan told me something so cool today. i got to see him after he got home from the conference that y'all got to got to. he said that he got his text message from me saying that if he saw you to say, "hey." and that CL says, "hey, too.", while he was actualy talking to you. that is so cool!!!
i told ryan that i was so jealous of you two. that y'all got to go to the conference and think of how we really need to worship THE God.
did you get to finish your conversation with cole? do you know if ken is going to have a "stream in nashville"? that would be so cool.
thanks for being who you are and allowing God to work through you.
kenny

Anonymous said...

when is the ZOE conference stuff going to be posted? May 2005 is almost over!

Deb said...

Brandon, my Sweet -

Amazing how our thoughts and reflections can converge after we have both experienced God on a spiritual quest with an ocean in between!

As I don't want to waste space for others, or mess up your 'Comments Column', please read what I wrote today when you have a breath ... and your brain has taken an absorption break (will it ever??). Get a cuppa, as it's a bit, well, you know ... long!

John and I are praying for Sheryl's sweet delivery, and that the ensuing upheaval will be countered with peace and quiet in the soul. Would love to see Maddie's and Ella's expressions when they hear about and see Baby Sam for the first time!!

Love ya!
www.kibbelznbitsbydeb.blogspot.com
(Is it OK to do this? Guess I'll find out!)

SG said...

Yesterday during senior Sunday they played Zoe as the back ground music to the slide video. I loved hearing Sheryl's and your voice in our house of worship. It made me wish I could see the real you! Take care and keep us posted on d-day! Should we start a pool guessing date and weight? :0 HA HA! I guess May 25, 9 pounds 2 oz.

lee said...

I enjoyed your little girl's song, especially when I think of the church as the hearts God knits together.

I looked up your blog after our church sang "You Have Been Good."
I usually glance at the names and dates, and when I recognized your name as the arranger, I wanted to say thank you. It's a powerful piece of music.

Gem said...

Actually, she does have it right (not ot nit-pick or anything). She probably doesn't understand the difference between the church body and the church building, but her song is sure right -- he does live in his body, the church.

Debbie said...

Brandon, I know this is random and has nothing to do with anything...but...I was listening to a CD the other day and thought, "Zoe should sing this with Brandon and Sheryl singing the solos!" It is "A Living Prayer" on Alison Krauss's newest CD, "Lonely Runs Both Ways." It is my new favorite song...until another day. Blessings this week and fyi...Katie Riggs' birthday is Wednesday, May 25th, so we're keeping our fingers crossed for Sam to arrive then!

Debbie said...

Okay...I was totally having a "monday" yesterday when I wrote the previous blog. I do love "A Living Prayer", but it's the song on the new Jim Brickman CD, "Grace", and the song is called "Be Thou Near to Me". There is a male solo and a female solo that is just made for you and Sheryl! There...I think I got it right this time! Blessings today!

Keith Brenton said...

Do you have any idea how blessed you are to be at a church that still talks about Jesus on Sunday morning?