Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Didn't mean to make anyone nervous by posting late in the day. Sheryl is still her pregnant self. She is feeling tired, but thankful for every day the baby can "cook" so as to be completely healthy. Thank you for your prayers. (Hopefully not 27 lbs of baked Sam)

The guesses on day and weight are clipping right along! Keep 'em coming. It will be fun to see who is the closest. Don't email them to me because the chances of them getting lost in that abyss are too great. Post them on here in the comment section so we can all go back and find out who was closest.

Have you thought much about dreams? My co-worker, Scott Owings, is going through the "Spiritual Director" training this year. He's our minister of outreach and spiritual formation. It's been fascinating to hear some of what he's learning. For those of you who think I'm talking voo-doo and magic, it's basically just helping ministers do what ministers need to do--but better. It's training in being quiet and processing what the other person is saying. It's training in discernment and listening for God's voice. It's training in asking questions to help the other person process. It's really a wonderful thing. It was cool to see that the Emergent Conference had Spiritual Directors available this year (I think they have had them in years past too.) Scott and some of his other SD's were at the ZOE conference and were available for prayer and counsel at different points. We got great feedback on that.

I want to tell you about two dreams. The first is Maddie's. We haven't been mentioning Jonathan Shaub as regularly to them as we had in weeks past. Monday Maddie told me that she'd had a dream about Jonathan. I asked her which one (Vest or Shaub) and she said, "The boy who got hit by a truck". I asked her what he was doing in her dream and she said, "He was walking, driving a car, running, and playing!" I thought that was pretty cool! I pray that he'll be doing those things soon.

Last week I had a cool dream. It's sort of hard to explain because it was so surreal that putting it into words somehow looses the impact. It was simple and basic, but when I tell you about processing it with Scott you'll see how I was reminded of God's goodness. In my dream I was over a huge lake. It was as if I was either standing or sitting right on top of the water in the middle. The water was as smooth as glass all the way to shore and I was leading the song, "It is Well With My Soul" (When Peace Like A River). There were hundreds of voices singing along, although there were no people to be seen. I just remember feeling engulfed in the music and looking all around me feeling this peace and serenity. I woke up and felt so full. I didn't feel the need to process it or think much about it. I mentioned it to Sheryl and that was it. It just made me so happy and was so encouraging.

Today I finally mentioned it to Scott. He began to ask me questions like, "What does a lake represent to you? Were you on top of the water? What were you feeling? What does the song represent to you?" These were interesting questions. I told him that the lake is a place of fun and peace to me. I was definitely on top of the water and it almost as if I were sitting Indian style or something--weird. I was feeling completely full of God's love and peace. The song doesn't really represent anything to me--well at least I didn't think. I've always loved the story behind the song. Scott asked me why and I told him because it was as if the guy made a choice between faith and despair. Scott then reminded me that last summer I had shared another dream with him (and now I remember that I shared it with the worship leaders, while sobbing and talking about my year, during the ZOE leadership conference). In that dream I was sinking and all these people were around me just watching me and talking to me as if nothing were going on--oblivious. I had completely forgotten that dream. He said that to him it was significant that this time I was sitting on top of the water and that the water was a smooth as glass. WOW! I hadn't even thought about that. SO COOL! He reminded me of the Psalm that says something like, "Even in the night God's Word instructs me." It was a great conversation.

And now for something completely different...

Tonight is the American Idol Finale. Glory Hallelujah. Last night Bo and Carrie went head to head. To me, it's a complete toss-up. Who's gonna win??

One last thing to add to this already long entry. (Keith Brooks--hush.) Here's the schedule we're getting ready to release for our Summer program on Wednesday nights. The worship time will be different each week--sometimes the band, sometimes no band, sometimes drama, sometimes youth or kid led. If you're in town, come join us for dinner first and then family time at 7pm. The topics and speakers are as follows:

June 1 -- Lisa Harper -- "The Greatest Thing in the World"
June 8 -- Karyn Henley -- "Raising Children in a Post-Christian World"
June 15 -- Kent Vaughn -- "What Time is it?"
June 22 -- Randy Harris -- "Living Simply in a Complicated World
June 29 -- Rubel Shelly – “The ‘D’ Word: Talking about Death before it’s too late”

July 6 – Jim Williams – “Parenting on Point”
July 13 -- Matt Duncan -- "Can anything good come out of Hollywood?"
June 20 -- Phil Ware -- "Wonders and Worries of the WWW"
July 27 -- Don Finto -- "Who is my Neighbor?"

August 3 – Leslie Collins – “Anger Management”
August 10 -- Chris Peck – “A Wounded Healer"
August 17 -- John Mark Hicks – “Finding God in the Pit”
August 24 – Phil Keagy Concert
August 31 – Michael Card – “A Cord of 3 Strands”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

when are we getting ZOE conference information.. according to my calendar ZOE has about 6 days left.. May 2005 is almost over!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

we're working on it--patience, please Mr. or Ms. Anonymous. We're meeting to finalize next week. We have scrapped the original pattern for the leadership conference and we're going a completely new direction this year. I am really excited about it. But, help me out and pray for us. We could use that more than admonishment to stick to the deadline.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Jonathan--
Honestly, it's Nashville and favors. We ask friends and while we pay a very small honorarium (very small), it's really because it's close and a Wednesday night when they wouldnb't likely be traveling. It's really wonderful.

I think your thought of asking people in your community is AWESOME. Bring in some folks from toher denominations and open up and share some things. It is such a blessing to recognize being a part of a larger family.

Deb said...

Brandon, great advice to Jonathan!

Jonathan, hope you don't mind me adding my voice. But I used to work at Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY. (Music ministry/early childhood). I grew up in the southern CofC, and when I went to seminary at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (in the good ole days, before the ummm ... Convention seriously changed the ummmm ... spiritual dynamics), I was introduced to the Independent Christian Churches. Southeast Christian (www.southeastchristian.org) was a tremendous place to grow. There are many wonderful teachers and godly men and women there. (Bob Russell, still the minister, even had me working on recruiting Jeff Nelson to come be our worship leader!)

Anyway, Southeast was strongly involved in the ministry of Cincinnati Bible College (now Cincinnati Christian University!), the ACU of the North. It seems like there would be some awesome teachers/speakers you could get from Southeast and CCU. They know the ‘honorarium system’ well! Southeast would and could help, at least be a terrific resource.

Southeast was experiencing amazing growth when I was there. Now it is locally referred to as 'Six Flags over Jesus', but don't let that put you off!

Anyway, hope this might be useful, resource-wise.

Blessings!

Peggy N Texas said...

Our congregation just merged (in March) with another church. CofC and independent Christian. Last summer we had speakers every Wednesday night from all sorts of sources. (This was during our "dating period") It was a great time and it helped us get to know each other and a taste of other places. We are doing the same sort of thing this summer as well. We don't have quite the pull or pool you have but we have some great speakers.

We can use speakers from any place other than cofc, which they have pretty much counted us "fallen from the fold". We have even been told we are no longer needed to provide food at the Bible center at our local college. It has been interesting to see the response as we try to restore Christianity!

It is especially great for the summer since there can be individual nights where you don't miss with a series, since so many travel.

God bless on the new baby! You don't know me but I would pick June 6th. This is my parents anniversary and my daughter and son-in-laws anniversary. Going with that, we will say 8 lbs. 6 oz. God bless your family.

Peggy in Texas

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

wow--cool, Peggy! Where are you in Texas? I'd love to know more about your situation. It's my prediction that this will be happening more and more in the days and years to come. Lord, make it so!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Jeremy-
I still say toss up. But I can definitely say I am not a Jody Evans fan. But--more power to ya. I mean, Im weird. I admit it. For Father's Day I have asked for a Cowboy Troy Cd so go figure.

Interesting prediction on birth. Let's just say--I hope you're really, really wrong.

Anonymous said...

Well...good thing I finally read yesterday's blog, BST. What an honor to get a fleeting mention. I'm jealous of the Wed. night summer schedule at OC. I have great memories of the rich things OC did in past summers.

Keep writing the long blogs...we'll keep reading. I was talking with an elder at our church here in Louisville recently about your blog. He mentioned that you are never at a loss for words, but more importantly that he is blessed by the passion with which you write. I agree.

Blessings to your family. Get all the sleep you can the next few days b/f Sam comes along!

Katherine said...

Wow-thanks for sharing your dreams with us. I feel like I have walked through both of those dreams over the past year, and have definitely grown from it.

God bless you as you await your new bundle of joy!! I'm not quite ready to guess yet...but I'll get back to ya!

Also, I pray God's blessing on everyone involved in the planning of the ZOE conference and look forward to joining you!

Anonymous said...

Jonathon,

What church do you go to in Dayton, if you don't mind me asking? Reason is I went to the Centerville CoC, very conservative. Unfortunately I think I know what their response would be to your thoughts, but I think its a great idea to open things up to others congregations in the community.

Take care!
Mark