Monday, April 18, 2005

Sunday was exhausting...but in a great way! Yesterday morning we had one of the most powerful times of worship and teaching that we've had in a long time. Tim's message was so convicting to me. He talked about John 3:13-21. People who love darkness hate the light because the light exposes their deeds and they don't want them exposed. Basically, that was the gist.

I honestly was so convicted by the Word. It is so hard to lead worship in those times and after hearing it the second time, I couldn't avoid saying something after the message. I just confessed my own hypocrisy. I know that there are things in my heart that I hold on to that are not of God and I don't want to do that. It was such a great morning for me. I hope it was for others. If I could have just gone to my knees for the rest of the service, I would have. The guided time of meditation during the supper only convicted me even more.

After second service we had the luncheon for those who are interested in Otter Creek and becoming a part of this family. It was well attended. We hurried home and put the girls in bed and Sheryl headed out to her shower. Let me just say this...Sarah Williamson and Beth and the ZOE girls all did such a great job of making it a wonderful afternoon for Sheryl. Sarah Williamson is one of the most creative people. She had the attendees address envelopes as they came in with their own addresses so she could give them to Sheryl along with thank you cards that she made. Really--such a great friend! She went way above and beyond to make it a very special day. Thank you, Sarah! What a gift to us that you and Ryan are back in Nashville now!

She came home and we both looked at all this boy stuff and just shook our heads. I am telling you, I have been swimming in dress up clothes, the color pink, and every princess thing imaginable. Don't get me wrong--anyone will tell you, I love being the father of little girls. It is priceless!! But what a change in scenery to see blue blankets, boy shirts and pants, blue passies, etc! The craziest gift of the day went to Eve who gave Sheryl these things called "pee-pee tee-pee's". Basically, they are little triangular cloth things that you put on his you-know-what when you're changing his diaper. We have little to no experience with changing a boy's diaper. But--we're getting all kinds of reports and stories now. I am sure there will be some bloggable moments to come. Pee-pee tee-pee's. Yep.

After looking quickly through the gifts I had to jet out and head back to OC for Celebration Sunday. We had a great night! We had several sections of open mic times where people could just come up and read scriptures of praise. At one point we had a time where people could read or share about a scripture that has gotten them through a difficult time. It was very moving. I always love getting to do things like that where it seems like we really do "church" more like what it ought to be. We're all sharing, we're all speaking the Word. It was another encouraging moment.

I came home and crashed. In fact, Sheryl had to thump me to wake me up after laying down with Maddie. I think I went to sleep right there in her bed. Sunday was anything but restful. Has anyone ever heard of Sabbath? I mean--what the heck? Does it exist?

To keep the theme running, I got up at 6:30 on my day off and headed to a ZOE meeting that began at 7am. Thankfully, I had the wherewithal to say last month that Mondays are my family day and I couldn't stay beyond 9am. It was a great meeting. We talked more about the conference this fall--fleshing out the theme and the journey through scripture we'll take that weekend. I am really pumped about this conference.

It was great to see Mike Cope and all the ZOE gang. And--might I add--that Randy Gill pulled out the guitar and we had a wonderful time of worship. I wasn't able to sing a note after singing so much over the weekend. It was so frustrating to not even be able to get a sound out. But--Greg Taylor who sat next to me was belting it out and it was really cool. It was almost like he was singing for the both of us. GT--who knew you could really sing?? You've been holding out on me.

I left at 9 and came home to spend the day with my favorite people. After being snowed in last Monday in Colorado and being in the studio all weekend we haven't had a family day in a really long time. We set out for the park. Sheryl stopped in at Wal-Mart to buy a helmet for Maddie since we were taking her bike. My mom met us there and brought some really good lunch food. We enjoyed the beautiful day while the girls wore themselves out. I loved watching Maddie ride her bike around the sidewalks at the Granny White Park. Ella and Maddie both stayed on the swings for what seemed like hours.

It was serendipitous that Julie and Betsy Corlew (they both have married names now) showed up with their kids. We all went to ACU and they are old friends. It was nice to catch up with them. We also got to have some quality time with my mom, David and Becky Rubio, and then later--Wendy Bowling and Kristen Thompson and their kids. Ella was thrilled to see Jamie--her pseudo boyfriend. The Granny White Park is a favorite! We stayed for over 3 hours and had a blast.

We came home and crashed and then went to BAJA BURRITO--yes, I know...it comes as a shock. It's just that--it's the perfect place to go and sit outside. May I offer that if you ever visit Nashville, it's a must.

What a great day! What a great weekend! I am thankful for the community God has given us and the family He has given me. I am grateful for the warmth of the sun, the good health we enjoy, that my back and shoulders have loosened, that Sheryl seems better, that pineapples and salsa really do go together, and for the butterfly, Eskimo, and "lippy" kisses that I got tonight from my girls before they drifted off to sleep.

To borrow a line from the Cindy Morgan song..
"Thank you, Lord! How could I ask for more?"

3 comments:

SG said...

Hey why didn't I know about pee pee tee pees! those really would have come in handy the first few months! We used to say that Rhett was going to be a fireman when he grew up :) And Skip is right about the ER thing! Kolby, girl, age 7= )trips to the er and no hspital stays, Rhett, boy, age 3= 3 trips to the ER and 1 hospital stay. Go figure!

Clarissa said...

Yes -- out of all my kids, it's only Joey that's broken his arm. Twice. One of those times it was so bad they had to put him to sleep to set it (forearm broken in two places.)

Danny Sims said...

I wish someone had given us some pee-pee-tee-pees.