Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I am loving this weather. It makes me want to just be outside all day! My mom and Kiki came over last night and between all of us, we got Sam's room cleaned out and painted and the girls bathed and put to bed...no small accomplishment. It looks really good! I know Sheryl is home right now organizing and nesting. It seems crazy that he's almost here!

I have been working on Pepperdine today. I am especially looking forward to our Thursday late night time. If you're going to Pepperdine--please come and bring your bible. We're going to do something similar to what we did here last Sunday night with open sharing and scripture readings woven through songs from the Desperate CD and a few others. Come prepared to share a passage that has blessed you during times of desperation and another passage of thanksgiving. It will be so cool to hear the Word come to life in that setting. I love that week and I love those people! There is nothing better than gathering in a standing room only theater with people who are passionate about worship.

We are rehearsing tonight for Pepperdine. Pray for this group. We have a couple of newbies coming. They are seasoned vets here at the Creek but they'll be new to the Pepperdine experience. I can't wait for them to be there! (Eve Clevenger and Philip Henry to be exact)

I had a phone call from a good friend this morning who poured out his heart about some family issues. It reminded me of how grateful I am to have community. It reminded me how little I really know and that sometimes the only thing you can do is listen. Then another friend dropped by the office. I hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks and it really made my day. It's amazing how God can minister to us in little ways. I am so thankful for all the gifts He's given. One more...this morning as I left, Maddie said, "But Daddy, I don't WANT you to go to work. I want you to stay and play with me!" She's said this several times lately. While it breaks my heart, it's also a wonderful thing to hear. There may be a day when she's too wrapped up in her stuff to say or want that. I won't go all Cat's in the Cradle on you, but I am trying to soak in these days.

One thing Seven Habits HAS done for me--in writing out the roles and tribute statements (basically, what do you want that specific person to say about you on your 80th birthday regarding that role), it's made me more aware of the little things. Now when either Maddie or Ella says, "Daddy, come play outside with me" or any host of other requests, I find myself putting down the bills, or whatever has my attention and going with them. For that, I am grateful. I can be so easily distracted by the "urgent". There's nothing more urgent than spending time with Sheryl and the girls. These days are so short. I don't want to waste any time.

Tomorrow--our last all day staff retreat working through the Seven Habits workbook. My desk still looks like a disaster area, I still feel like I am juggling a thousand things, and I am still living in "quadrant one", but things are improving slowly.

Anyone coming to the Emergent Conference here in May???

PS: For whatever reason, my counter bit the dust last month. I kept hoping it would revive, but no luck. So--we've got a new counter, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to this blog site. Come back any time!

3 comments:

Matt Elliott said...

I'll be at the conference along with our preaching minister. Hope some others of you will be, too!

julie said...

Brandon, I love that you take time for your girls and that you don't let other commitments take over the time you have set aside for them. The time goes by so fast and before you know it they are grown and have moved out. My two boys are in NC and in Nashville and I miss them every day. Two girls still at home and I am loving it. My daughter is a junior and I don't want to even think about when she leaves. Keep loving them and Sheryl...
grace, Julie

Anonymous said...

BST
I've heard very little about the Emergent Conference can you or someone fill me in on what it is all about?
Thanks bro, Zac