Friday, February 18, 2005

Yesterday and today I feel like I have "Flight of the Bumblebee" playing in my head...except that someone turned it on slllooowwww speed. I've been trying to get ready for Abilene. Being down all week hasn't helped. I think we are finally well enough to travel. Please pray for Melissa Kirby, one of the ZOE-ettes. She has this stuff and threw up all night last night. BLESS HER! Will it seem weird if I walk onto the airplane with a surgical mask on and latex gloves? I have tried that herbal thing--"Airborne" before. Looks like I might have to again. (Hello??? Howard Hughes! I told you.)

I am looking forward to seeing Sing Song tomorrow night. It's hard to believe that 10 years ago tonight I was preparing for opening night as the director of hosts and hostesses. What a fun group we had! Lea Brown, Emily Trice, Amy Shepherd, Jason McArthur, Rob Thomas, and Kendall Massey were hosts that year. WOW! It's so cool how many of them have gone on to great things. Lea and Jason live in Nashville and go to OC and sing with ZOE. Lea teaches in the inner city. Jason is a record label executive. I actually dated Emily later. And then she was a bridesmaid in our wedding. Go figure. She and Sheryl are close friends (brilliant move, BST). She's now happily married and living in Dallas where she is continuing to sing too. Amy Shepherd is married and in Chicago or somewhere. Rob Thomas is the genius behind the igniter videos that many of you have seen and used. Kendall is the director if Sing Song and teaches a music industry/recording class of some kind there at ACU. I called them my "chickens". I am so proud of them! 10 years. Yikes.

That means it was 14 years ago when I was a host. When did I become a geriatric? We had an amazing group too--most of whom went on to sing and bless people. You've heard me talk about Stephen. He was my roommate and best man. He is also a creative genius, in my book. And, you also know Val from blog comments and his own amazing writing. Stephen and Val continue to sing and minister through their voices. We had such a blast being hosts that year. It was such a pleasure to perform with such amazingly talented people! The girls were Kimberly Meador (daughter of Prentice), Martha Kate Stallings (daughter of Gene), Darcy Washburn, and Kristen Behrends. They've all continued to sing--some professionally. What a blast. It's hilarious to look at that video. We watched it recently at my mom's. We were all much thinner and I had a LOT of hair. we're talking TONS. Think Richard Marx. Scary.

Sing Song is such a huge deal in Abilene...population 120,000 SAL-UTE!! Although there are three other Universities there, when ACU Homecoming or Sing Song happens, it's a city-wide news event. I grew up in awe. IN AWE. Watching people like Holly Dunn, Brown Banister, Cindy Lipford, Clay Hale, Nelson Coats (just saw one of his recent movies--a John Grisham one. Can't think of the title), Kellie Curtis, Michael McCoy--and so many more. All I ever wanted to be until 1991 was a Sing Song Host. How's that for some deep ambition? OK--maybe there were a couple of other goals in there, but basically, it was true. It was such a fun time in life!

After graduating ACU and performing on the ship and doing professional theater in the Dallas area I commuted back to work with Sing Song in 1995. I never thought anything could be as fun as actually being on that stage, but directing them was even better. All that to say, it's been 10 years since that weekend. Time flies!

I am meeting John Chisum for lunch today. John is here with Nancy Gordon finishing one of their children's records. I miss John. I have never forgiven him for moving--you hear that, John??!! John has blessed ZOE by allowing us to sing some of his songs...like Let Your Spirit Come, I Come Expecting Jesus, Healing Grace, and Christ Above Me. He's down in Mobile now working with a church and doing some stuff with Integrity Music. We miss you, John! Maddie named her teddy bear "Ali" after John's beautiful red haired daughter.

I've bored you with trivia today. Sorry. Sometimes it's fun to think back. Some of you know these names and I thought it might be fun for you too. Otherwise, tune back in later for more ramblings and less trivia. I'll try to post next week, if possible.

PS: my mom's birthday is Tuesday!! Shhh--don't tell her I told you!

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Those in the 1995 crew were my first host/hostesses as a Sing Song participant - that was my freshman year. Such fun memories!! You did a great job with that crew. Of course I loved going while growing up, especially when they used to sell cheap tickets to the dress rehearsal! Never fear that you are boring us with trivia - your fond memories are fun for all of us in the ACU family too.

Glad you are all on the road to feeling better. Travel safely!

I'm really looking forward to Sunday morning at Highland with ZOE leading!

SG said...

Rob And I are going to try to be there Sunday too! I emailed you Brandon. Anyone else from blog land planning on being at Highland on Sunday morning?

Katherine said...

Ooo-ooo-me-me!! I'll be there on Sunday and am REALLY looking forward to an awesome time of worship! I pray you have safe travels and God's healing hand stays over you all...

Rick J said...

Hope you have a blessed weekend. Give Jeremy and Amber a hug for me... maybe if they're wearing a surgical mask. :)

Val said...

Hate to burst your bubble, man. But having worked for several years in the non-ACU/CoC world I have to tell you, much of Abilene only notices Sing Song when the lines at the restaurants are a little longer than usual. As a matter of fact, I have heard very little about it this year. Now of course it was different when BST had top billing as a host.

Unknown said...

Oh what sweet memories! Looking forward to worship Sunday morning with you and ZOE.

Anonymous said...

That's great. Good luck bro.

Anonymous said...

Brandon,
My name is (now) Kari Heil and I helped choreograph that show TEN years ago! I was only a freshman, but I was so grateful and honored that ya'll "awesome" people allowed me into that inner circle of the magic that is Sing Song. I had stars in my eyes when you guys rehearsed Seven Bridges Road in the bathroom of the music building for two hours, but even more so when you had the group sing Be Exalted outside under the stars directly to God Himself. That was powerful. And inspiring. And really a spirit-filled moment for me.

Also, I wanted to let you know that your memory of people is pretty impressive. My husband Russell said you ran into at lectureship and knew him from a web picture! What skill. What multi-talent.

Anyway, I hope your worship tonight went (is going?) well, and I'm jealous I am not there to hear. The CD's will have to sustain me.
Kari