Saturday, February 05, 2005

Thanks for allowing me to have a day of questions yesterday. I had a couple of conversations with people who seemed too quick to jump to judgment about our elders and their hearts right now. Assuming that because we're in a building program that they no longer care about people is absolutely insane. I do my fair share of questioning this whole building thing, but I also have a front row seat to watch how they are handling it and in watching others losing sleep because of their prayerful hearts and concern for the right thing. I guess it's one of those things where like with your own parents--you know their faults and their tendencies in failing at times. But, when someone else says something about them, you jump to their defense. That's about 10% of what was going on with me yesterday. I just feel so grateful to be serving under men who are shepherds. I have watched them cry with people, hold the hands of dying members, walk the trenches with suffering or addicted members, stay late counseling couples, be at every wedding or funeral for support...the list goes on and on. I am so grateful for these men. Yet, they are just men. Sometimes we expect something Super Human from leaders. Some of them come close in my opinion. I just feel thankful today to be working with them.

Went to Granny White Park today--beautiful, sunny day. The girls had fun running around. I am ready for summer...wherefore art thou, Summer???

I am at the building getting ready to film a promo for the Valentines Day banquet. I think I am playing Simon (from American Idol). We'll see how this goes!

I left a comment late last night on my blog from yesterday. If you haven't seen "Ray" yet--GO! It's worth it. Amazing performances and a great story.

Have a great Saturday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, a song for the next ZOE album...

Cartoons by Chris Rice

Fajita said...

I can't in my right mind think of why anyone would ever want to be an elder. It's a freakin' set up (and I don't say freakin' unless I really mean it). If you're not consumed with powerlust, you'll be treated as if you are or accused of being a wimp if you're not.

Lynn Anderson's book on shepherding (They Smell Like Sheep) is terrific. I recall one part where he mentions that elders are not to be cattle drivers. Well that's terrific and should be noted by all elders, but what about when the flock starts mooing? What happens when sheep think that they are cows?

I guess it is my immaturity that makes the aspiration to become an elder look like either an ego trip or a death wish. Maybe when I grow out of saying the word, "freakin,'" I'll get it.

Elders, God bless you. May your wisdom grow, your patience expand, and your love saturate the flock.