Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Staff meeting was good this morning--always long, but good. I am swimming in responses from praise team members about the new effort and direction of the ministry. 99% of the comments are great and in full support. It's that 1% that usually gets to me. I just want prayers for wisdom through this whole thing. This is much bigger than me and I don't want to get in the way or hinder any of it.

We had a MAJOR night at our house last night. We finished putting up Ella's big girl bed (a matching one of Maddie's). The beds are incredible. I'll try and post a picture sometime. Sheryl made them look so lovely. My wife--she's amazing. She can take something that isn't worth very much and isn't very nice to look at and make it into this incredibly beautiful thing. What a gift!

Ella and Maddie, for the very first time in their lives, spent the night in the same room last night. I only had to get on to them once. I heard giggling and walked down the hall. Ella was out of bed (mind you, she's never been able to do that since she's always been in a crib) and was over poking Maddie's face. I told her she had to get back in bed and she got really upset about it. I used my best daddy voice and said, "Ella, if you don't stop fussing and go to sleep, I am going to have to put you back in your room in your crib." It was as if I had pressed the mute button. She immediately stopped crying and looked at me. 5 minutes later, she was sound asleep and there was not one more peep out of either of them. Of course, if they only knew--Sheryl and I were down the hall waiting with baited breath. We NEVER expected them to make it through the night or get quiet enough that first try. But they did. AND--they slept all night until 8am. There is a God.

It's funny how some moments come and go without fanfare. We made a big deal about the big girl bed thing, but the truth is, it's a HUGE deal. As we walked past the nursery last night and saw it empty, it was a strange emotional moment. Our girls are growing up. This is one of many life changing stages we'll witness over the years. What a treasure! Each moment. Each moment.

6 comments:

John Owens said...

I'm supposed to be this self-centered, heart of stone single guy who never wants a family, but you and Cope are killing me with all this family stuff. You guys are turning me into a softie and I've got rep to uphold. Now, I must wipe my eyes and get back to my own little world. :)

Seriously, thanks for sharing. It does my heart good.

Clarissa said...

But that nursery won't be empty for long! How exciting! I guess when Sheryl's finished with the girls' room she'll begin decorating the perfect nursery for a baby boy ...

Fajita said...

I keep asking Sierra and Canaan how they know to keep growing. Each of them points up and says God made me do it.

They can't help it. They grow automatically. When does that end? Sure, we age, but do we keep growing? I want to keep growing.

Craig said...

The girls will do great in the same room. Our boys do and love it and that leaves them a playroom. I wish you would use your daddy voice on me!

Matt Elliott said...

Brandon -- would love to know more about this letter you shared with your praise team members. Any chance you could share the gist of it with us and perhaps a few specifics? I'm quite intrigued! Perhaps others are, too.

SG said...

Back in tha day of Peter Pan and Mary Poppins ALL the children stayed in one room called the nursery. Can you imagine? The seven year old trying to sleep through the 7 month olds 4am feeding call? wonder how many drnks of water and stories they had to dale out! But part of me loves the idea of an all together nursery. Maybe we should knock out some walls and start that tradition again!