Friday, February 25, 2005

I can't think "church" today. I can't concentrate on the retreat I am supposed to do next weekend in Alabama. I have no energy to read the blog list I normally try to get to each morning. I have no desire to pontificate on modern/postmodern/evangelicals/politics etc. I couldn't go to sleep last night even though we were up at 4:15 yesterday morning. Sheryl and I laid in bed quietly sobbing trying to find words to pray for Jonathan. It's in those times you realize your utter dependence on the Lord. I wanted to get in my car and drive to Manhattan. Maddie and Ella woke me up about 6:15 this morning and the only thing I could think was call Nicole. GOOD NEWS. His fever broke last night and it appears the infection may be gone. They are waiting on the doctors to finish rounds and then they'll know more. Keep checking here for up to date information.

It's been a long couple of months of suffering for people we love. We're ready for some relief for those we love. Last night Thomas Griffith (son of John and Alice here at Otter) fell from a zip line and had major internal injuries. He lost one kidney and had some other things wrong, but he'll be fine. Life is so tenuous. Diane Cope and I were talking at their house on Tuesday about immunity. Can't people who've suffered loss be granted a pass that says they won't have to endure such things anymore? Of course not. Diane said it best--it's just the world we love in. We live in a broken world. People get hurt. Kids die in Yukon accidents. Close brothers get hit by oil trucks in NYC (although, I'd say that's pretty unique). Kids fall and get hurt. Marriages dissolve, people become addicted, we search for filling in other places but God, dads get cancer.

This world is not my home. But I feel home with those I'm traveling with. There's a piece of home in you and me. It's what connects us--that blood of Jesus that covers and washes us. It's why times like these are so difficult. It's no wonder we hurt when our loved ones hurt. We are all longing for home. Sometimes the longing presses in and feels a little more urgent. Days like today.

Come, Lord Jesus, come.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandon,
I feel for you and your friends as I can relate in many ways with just losing someone very special to me 2 weeks ago. My grandmother who lived 89 yrs old went home to meet the Lord. My take on it was very strong but yet still tough to hold back tears of sadness/joy as we looked back on the legacy she has left behind. She was a very strong example to so many and her Christian influence rubbed off on so many. -Zac-

SG said...

The more people we love, the greater the chance that we will love someone who is really hurting. But love is worth the hurt and involvement...though at times it is flat out draining. May the love you have for others be magnified and reflected right back at you this morning brother! May you find strength and encouragement in knowing this only hurts because you love so deeply! AND though love may loose some hard fought battles …it always wins in the war in the end. Gob bless you for hurting for your friend!

Clarissa said...

Oh, dear, I didn't know this about Thomas Griffith. Thanks for posting it.

Clarissa said...

Also -- who is Carrie Love? Is she that girl that sang so beautifully at Merritt's wedding?

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

yes--that's her, Clarissa. She is a Broadway singer/actress. She's wonderful. She just got back from the Braodway tour of "Oklahoma". She really does have a great voice, but an even greater heart. It is so comforting to know she's ministering to them.

Generous Kitchen said...

Brandon...even though I consider us good friends, I've never read your blog...(I've never read anyone's blog until recently). My brother has a link to yours and so I read it today. I'm reading it because I'm home for the 6th day with what I'm calling the "Oh,-sweet-Jesus-come-take-me-now" FLU. I have not ever been this sick...ever! So, I feel for anybody who is experiencing this stuff. You have good things to say. Keep it up. I will enjoy reading it on a regular basis. I'm grateful to be in each others lives. You are precious to me!

Phil said...

btw, EVERYBODY (yes, you) should read Mike Cope's blog today.