Thursday, January 06, 2005

Orlando is beautiful--as always. And, as always, my flight here was delayed. Southwest cannot seem to get their flights from Nashville to Orlando ironed out. Every time I fly that route I am delayed.

The conference is ok. The Integrity worship session today brought some possibilities and I found some good dramatic sketches for Sunday mornings, but no other nuggets to speak of. One cool thing--I ran into an old friend from the Don McMinn conference in Dallas, Jason Beams. I hadn't seen him in 5 years. We got to catch up and turns out he's moved from Houston to be the music minister for a Baptist church out in Windemere, Florida. It was really good to see him and catch up. Those Don McMinn conferences are really great for building lasting friendships. I still have close friends I met there who I keep in contact with on a regular basis. Some of you music ministers should check it out. It's called the 6 Acts Conference. Go to www.6acts.org and you'll find more info.

Today I had lunch with my friend Mitch Crowe (minister of music at a Baptist church in S.C.) and two other older gentlemen who I don't know. As we were waiting in line at Chili's, one of the older men was making a comment about the waitress. He leaned over to the other one and said, "Look at her hair! She paid money to have it look that way. Mine looks like that when I roll out of the bed without having to pay at all." Then they both slowly looked my direction probably realizing what they had said and how closely I resemble that remark. I just smiled. I didn't tell them that my hair product of choice is actually called "bedhead" and that it TAKES A LONG TIME TO MAKE IT LOOK THAT WAY! It's an art. It is, I'm serious. Whatever.

Sheryl seems to be managing well at home with the kids. I wish they were here. I am meeting Chas (Charles Stovall--a great ZOE supporter!) tomorrow at Disney for lunch. Since he's the bigshot at Disney he's offered to let us play a little out there too. Thanks, Chas! The girls would die if they knew I was that close to the princesses. Maddie especially.

I am still floating from the Passion experience. It's funny to go from that to this. It just so dramatically reveals the chasm between the emerging generation and this modern church. The good news is, the focus of worship is still Jesus. We just all speak a different language in the way we approach it. Sometimes VERY different.

I pray your day is blessed.

6 comments:

Beaner said...

I have "wild hair" too, but mine is naturally curly wild & I'm letting it grow out (again!) from the short & spikey look. Now when I get out of bed it looks like a bird's nest!!! But I remember the days of pommade (that was one of the best revivals ever!) and between you & Skip D. I think you guys should buy stock in those companies! Have a good hair day!!!

Brian said...

You have finally hit on a topic that I can get on board with!
Let me start by saying, as anyone who has known me since I was 14 can attest to, that this is a topic I have YEARS of experience with........
Rule 1: There is nothing more important, and I truly mean NOTHING more important, than having a good hair product that you can depend on.
Jobs come and go, cars are traded and sold, houses are out grown or become too big, but a good hair product passes the test of time.
As the good book says; "a good hair product sticks closer than a brother..." (the good book of course being Gore Vidals Guide to Good Grooming, as everyone knows)
Enjoy sunny Florida! ;-)

Brian said...

You have finally hit on a topic that I can get on board with!
Let me start by saying, as anyone who has known me since I was 14 can attest to, that this is a topic I have YEARS of experience with........
Rule 1: There is nothing more important, and I truly mean NOTHING more important, than having a good hair product that you can depend on.
Jobs come and go, cars are traded and sold, houses are out grown or become too big, but a good hair product passes the test of time.
As the good book says; "a good hair product sticks closer than a brother..." (the good book of course being Gore Vidals Guide to Good Grooming, as everyone knows)
Enjoy sunny Florida! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Buddy, how are you distinguishing Passion from modern church? To me they are the same. They are both differnt forms of Western Christianity. Love you buddy.
Daren

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Buddy,
Yes there are some similarities. For one...a worship of Jesus. For two, using things like song, prayer, and the Bible as tools for worship. Otherwise, it is quite different.

The heart of the younger generation beats for the world in ways the modern church seems to have forgotten. While we are in the West, we will always look something like our roots of Western Christianity...just as we all resemble some things we like and some we hate about our own family of origin. The goal seems to me to seek first the Kingdom. While we're living here in America(as we both do) we will constantly be faced with obstacles to the gospel message--the real gospel message. To me, it was refreshing to see those 17,000 kids seeking after something bigger than themselves. Not an easy thing for people that age--remember when you were in college? :)

These are hard times, spiritually speaking, for many people. I like highlighting and learning from people and events that seem to draw men and women to a different kind of walk that seems very Kingdom focused. We are promised persecution if we follow the "Way". But, we're also told that joy is a fruit of being on that path. There's far to little joy out there right now. It makes me wonder sometimes. Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't hear persecution in my words. I, like you, feel there is tremendous benefit from being able to discuss these things. If I couldn't bounce things off of people, I would probably drown in my self-loathing thoughts. So I thank you for the opportunity to question things.

You make a good point about joy--it probably sounds like I'm down on everything. Most of that comes from the frustration of seeking answers to some hard questions and not really finding any (at least not any that don't lead to further frustration). I think, however, that I have more in common with the few who were outside the GEC raising $170,000 for the victims in south Asia than the 17,000 sitting comfortably inside singing praises to God. I'm not saying those people aren't sympathetic to their suffering. As a matter of fact, there was probably a contribution taken inside as well. These are just some of the things that bother me on a daily basis.

Thanks Brandon and everyone else for your mercy in allowing me to post openly. Please understand that I write in a spirit of humility. I don't believe that I'm more spiritual than anyone else, or that I've got it all figured out. I apologize to anyone whom I've offended.

Daren