Sunday, January 09, 2005

Good morning, everyone! Back in Nashville now. Great trip to Orlando! More on that in a minute.

Regarding the comment section on the blog over the last couple of days--no offense taken at all. This is a good forum for asking questions. My wife has labored over the years of our marriage to help me be better about asking questions instead of immediately assuming. I still struggle with that. It's not uncommon for her to say to me, "Why don't you just ask me if that's the way I'm feeling instead of assuming?" She has a great point. I am positive that I do that in all areas of life at one point or another. My deal with the Passion thing was to simply report, as one who was there, what transpired. It really was amazing. Had I not been there, I might even agree with Daren about the actions of what went on inside as opposed to the world outside. (there was a contribution taken for the victims in South Asia, by the way. No word on how much was raised, but these college students were giving generously all week.) I guess my caution to you and to me is to be slow to judge something you have no first hand knowledge of. Seems like I have a tendency to do that at times.

Even so, both scenarios are supported in scripture. Jesus encouraged the selfless ministry to others and giving all one had to people in need, as well as extravagant worship. The woman who came in to Jesus and poured expensive perfume comes to mind. That must have been incredibly uncomfortable for those watching--and wondering why she wasn't giving that money to the poor. Yet, there were many other times when He called people out of their religious boxes into a new way of thinking about Kingdom. Living it. Isn't it cool how multi-dimensional this walk with Him is? It really can be mind blowing.

The thing I appreciate about Daren, for those of you who don't know him, is his relentless search for the heart of God. It has been one of the things that has greatly encouraged me. There is much to learn on the journey. Sometimes I feel like I am riding the "short bus" to my Spiritual special ed class. Strike that...MOST of the time. I'm glad the Lord speaks to us through each other and through the Spirit. I'm thankful for the accountability.

Now, Orlando--so, Friday I went with a friend from the conference and met Bret Testerman and Charles Stovall for lunch. It was fun to see them. Afterwards, Charles took my friend, Mitch, and me to MGM to ride a couple of rides. The Rockin-Roller Coaster was about the coolest thing ever. 0-60mph in 2 seconds. It's like a rocket. It's completely dark inside and they have Aerosmith music blaring. LOVED IT.

Next was Tower of Terror. Ok, I have confessed to my great fear of heights. I decided to stand in line with Mitch and Charles to pass the time since I WAS NOT GOING ON THAT RIDE. By the time we got inside and it was time to get on, I noticed two small girls in line behind us. I leaned over to one of them and asked her age. "4", she said, and her babysitter offered that she had ridden this yesterday. I asked the little girl if it was scary and she said, "Vewy sca-wy". I figured, if she can do this I can. So I got on.

I am not sure when I came to, it was several days later. OK, just kidding, but seriously. There's a reason kids ride those things. They are more resilient. It scared the pants off me. I freaked. But I was very proud of having done it. Once is enough. Never again. Charles, you were the smart one.

It was wonderful to come home and see the girls and Sheryl. I am so blessed to have them. I pray that you all are enjoying the gift of family and friends today as you worship. It's still such a cool thought that my mom isn't just visiting. She's here!

May God continue to open our hearts to being more like Him--as radically different from our nature as it may be.

9 comments:

Jen said...

(Since you made the reference to this in parenthesis, I thought I’d out my whole comment about it in them too. On Wednesday morning at the Passion Conference, Louie stated the offering from the night before stood at $186,000 and many others who weren’t prepared were still asking how they could give. The offering was originally intended for reaching students and towns outside of America, after the natural disaster, Passion’s leaders decided that the first fruits would be sent to indigenous churches in affected areas so that they would be able to directly minister to people (in fact they should have already received it). I work with a church and college group in Manhattan, KS and I was able to take a co-worker and student with me to Passion ’05. I am (and will be for a long while) still trying to get my hands around that conference – as I walk alongside my students. I know for those who went with me, the conference was more than joyful worship (which there was), but times theological and challenging teaching, prayer, accountability, phone calls from a soldier serving in Iraq, communication with workers in areas affected by the tsunami, worship that was contemplative, subdued, and facedown along with worship that was loud and “jumpy” (and the entire spectrum between) – the whole of human emotion and experience. Please, know the final charge of Passion (both at this gathering and the other 3 I have been to) is a sending out, a responsibility for action, that passion is a movement and not a conference. Holistically when I reflect on the weekend, I have two primary thoughts: 1. Everything is about the renown of Christ 2. John Piper’s reflections and perspectives on joy (too much to flesh out here) –and fighting for joy.

I just wanted to offer up a few more thoughts from a passion veteran and perhaps help add to the picture that was painted by BST, as we looked at multiple facets of the work of God among his people (thosae who speak different languages - both linguistically and culturally)- those in gathers like this, others outside ministering, and others in all areas. Praise God for his diversity and creativity.)

The current question for my ministry is what does this mean when we get home? How are we forming students and our churches?

SG said...

OK I just want to know if you found out if it is a girl or a boy yet????? :) Steph

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Jen--Awesome!! Thank you! It's cool to hear from someone who knows what went on. Speculation only goes so far. Who the heck cares who raised money and where they stood--inside the arena or outside? Isn't the important thing that money was raised and will be sent to people in need? That thought occured to me today. I'm thankful for all those who had the heart to give. I missed both contributions that night. Never saw the one outside and left before the one inside. I'm the lesser for it.

I'm still processing this morning. Suffice it to say a morning filled with creamed corn. (the bright spot was a GREAT praise team!) I don't even know where to begin. I shouldn't say anything further.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

ohhh--and we go IN THE MORNING to find out what we're having! Stay tuned!

Phil said...

Creamed corn, indeed. I think some creamed potatoes were thrown in there this morning too.

Clarissa said...

I never knew about the creamed corn or the potatoes -- thought it was a great morning. Now I'm curious ...

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to hear all the positive things that came from the Passion event. I had a feeling that contributions would be taken for the Sunami victims, and I'm glad to see the generosity of college-aged people. As Brandon alluded to Thursday, I had the maturity of a four-year-old at that age. I'm more impressed all the time with the maturity of college-age believers.

I also want to thank everyone for their mercy in letting me think out loud, and for understanding that I don't make it my business to judge people's motives. Brandon & I talked on Sunday, and the only critical advice he had was for me not to comment without first-hand experience (being at the Passion conference). Point taken. I think my definition of worship has changed over the last few months. It's been a long strange trip.

Daren

Anonymous said...

I'm with Clarissa. Great message, great testimony of healing, great singing.....couldn't smell the corn or potatoes...DeeAnna

Mae said...

You're killing me Smalls! How did the ultrasound go?!?!?!