Thursday, January 27, 2005

Bear with me this morning. First of all--I want to tell you that my best friends and former college roommies have joined the world of blogging. Doggett joined, I think, only to shock the rest of us. Here are some funny pics of us dating back to 1992 until a few years ago...in the first pic from left to right are: Craig Fisher (Fish), BST, Chris Doggett (Dog), and Stephen Bailey (SAB). A lot of you met Stephen at the Nashville ZOE conference when he shared his story with the worship leaders.




These guys have been my brothers and closest friends on the journey ever since the late eighties. We lived together on Westheimer in Abilene. We raced naked down city streets. We laughed until we were sick. We weathered girlfriends and grades. They stood by me when I lost my father. We've walked through a lot together. We've grown up together. Even though we don't live in the same city, we still communicate several times a week. It's a true blessing.

Stephen left the world of motion pictures and special effects to be a worship minister last fall. It was a huge step. He and I have shared many stories over the last few months about church work and have wondered together how anyone stays in church work without jumping off a tall bridge. We were roommates more years than either of us can count. We traveled and sang together, we were Sing Song hosts together at ACU. We've had more fun than anyone should be allowed to have. Here's his link: Stephen's Blog

Craig is an elementary school principal (my dad would be so proud!). He's one hip dude. He can dance and will probably audition for American Idol Senior at some point. LOL. He loves the Lord and has been a real brother to me. Maddie is enamored with him because she loves to wear a t-shirt he gave her with his face on it that says, "Mr. Fisher's Reading Club". Here's his link:
Fisher's Blog

Chris was always the pretty one. We love to kid him about it. His wife, Karen, took care of us all in college. It was a great trial run for having kids later. They sure make beautiful children! Chris has such a tender heart for the Lord. I love how he inspires me to be a better husband and follower of Christ. Here's his link: Doggett's Blog

It's one of God's biggest gifts to me to have remained close to these guys all these years. Sometimes people travel different roads spiritually and that can separate them over time. The Lord has been gracious to allow us to journey together, finding ourselves more and more passionate for the Lord. Welcome to blog land, guys!

One more thing before signing off today. I was inundated yesterday with one single message. Mercy. From the beginning of my day until it ended last night with a conversation with a brother around 9:30, I was hit with the richness of God's mercy. How can I possibly overlook how merciful God has been to me? This should and does have a huge impact on the way I react to people around me. I got a couple of notes from people who attended the conference this weekend. One in particular laid me on the floor. A man who had done some very terrible things in his past and is now paying the price telling us what this ministry means to him...especially the theme of "Desperate". I woke up this morning feeling convicted again of the FACT that God is in control of this ministry. Any good that comes from it is a result of His work through His Spirit. I cannot do this on my own--not even a little. He supplies, He forgives, He softens, He heals, He ministers, He loves, He directs, He initiates, He protects. He does all that. Not me. I am more mindful than ever today of the profound responsibility of being a vessel. It honestly scares me sometimes when I see the vastness of God's plan and the way He is using ZOE to spread His love. So, this morning as I got ready I looked in the mirror and prayed, "Lord, help me today. I cannot do this on my own. I am worth nothing without You. Go before me. Create a new heart in me. Use me to accomplish Your will, and protect my family, this ministry, and me for Your name's sake."

Does that ring true for any of you? I know what I am capable of. I know how low I can go. There is nothing in me I trust. God has given all of us certain personalities and with His creative genius, has set us here to be Kingdom men and women. I am praying that I die to everything in me that is not of Him and allow Him to use me fully to His glory. If you have a sec today, would you pray that for me too? Have a great day, blog family.

3 comments:

Craig said...

I love you bro. Thanks for paving the blog path.

Tim Castle said...

Brandon -- AMEN! God is good, and it's such a blessing -- and a bit overwhelming -- when we find that something we have done in submission to Him has had such power in people's lives. If I have ever praised you or the ZOE team for anything, what I hope came through was thanksgiving to God for using you, and thanks to you for being a willing vessel for His work. I could tell you stories of the blessings that people have found through you and the ZOE ministry, but maybe another time. For myself, I have found friends from across the country who help me understand better how to pursue God's influence in my life and the lives of people around me. I have had many great hours of conversation, worship, and music that help God call me closer. And I have had the chance to encourage others in their walk. That is all God's doing, through His people.

Praise God, and let His praises fuel your further service, carrying you through the challenges that ministry always brings.

SG said...

The "haouse" has taken to blog land! Oh my! How fun to be able to keep up with all four of you again!

Great edifying words today! Saying that prayer for you right now!