Thursday, December 02, 2004

Isn't it interesting that when a sensitive topic is raised and people have strong feelings about it, there tend to be mostly anonymous posts? What is the deal with that? Come on, blog family--if it's worth saying, it's worth signing. None of the comments were offensive--I enjoyed hearing all the perspectives. It seasons the conversation. But--anyone in ministry who has received the lovely anonymous letter will agree with me. If it's worth saying, it's worth signing. I even got a note once on one of our yellow "encouragement" cards that was anything but encouraging. I guess the writer felt justified in using that card by starting the admonition with, "Let me encourage you to...." It was mean spirited and of course, anonymous. Anyway, say it with me bloggers out there, "If it's worth saying, it's worth signing."

Now, on to better things. We had a great rehearsal last night. I didn't think we'd need all three hours for music, but we used every last second. It really helped to get that music into our physical blocking and action. I am getting so excited about this show. It's something completely different than we have ever done. I hope people enjoy it.

My sinus infection continues to rage. I think I have had this for 7 months now. Seriously. It goes away and comes back...every other week or so. I am going to Vanderbilt on Tuesday to spend 4 hours with doctors who will poke me, stab me, etc. in an effort to find out what is going on. I am also convinced that these problems have exacerbated my vocal issues. I am hopeful that there might be a solution that will help both things. I'd really appreciate your prayers.

Speaking of problems being exacerbated (just had to use that one more time), my office looks like something off of "Clean Sweep"! Seriously, I need some major help. It's disgusting. I haven't seen the top of my desk in months. I have costumes all over the place, sombreros, coats people have left after rehearsals, coffee cups, water bottles, music--maybe close to a million sheets here and there, my to-go salad container sitting on the floor next to me, books not in bookshelves, CDs not in cases and not on shelves, pictures, bills...IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!! The thing is, with everything going on with the show right now it's virtually impossible to keep order, but as much as I'd like to blame it on that, this has become the norm in here. NO MORE! Come December 30th it's CLEAN SWEEP in BST's office! Stay tuned.

Anyone watching "The Real Gilligan's Island"? I've admitted before, we love some dumb shows like that. Last night while I was at rehearsal late, Sheryl watched "Nanny 911". Maybe someone could come do a reality show on the building campaign. It would have strong characters, a lot at stake, strong opinions, deep emotions, and the future of OC weighing in the balance. I appreciate the time and energy people like Becky Cowart and others have put into this. No one is paying them. They have gone the extra mile and paid the price. Becky is one of our ministry coordinators (what we call our deacons). No matter how we feel about the project itself, she deserves our thanks for all her efforts and for her deep love for this place. Sometimes I think, just like in politics, it's difficult to step outside your strong opinions and treat each other like human beings. What did CS Lewis call it...our almost but not yet glorified selves? Seeing each other as children of God and not as an issue or an opinion. Really hard to do, isn't it? I'm working on it. I have a long way to go, but I am working.

Have a great day, blog family. We will be at home tonight putting up the "Santa tree". I'm so looking forward to just being home! The Santa tree is a smaller, skinnier Christmas tree that goes in the den by the fireplace. The girls will enjoy putting more ornaments on the tree. You can tell where they have decorated--there are usually like 30 ornaments on two limbs.

Peace of Christ to you today!

16 comments:

Phil said...

Everybody have fun tonight.

Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Fajita said...

Do you suppose there is a linkage between your sinus cavities and your desk?

Phil said...

OK. Serious comment now. I am sorry that some people's method of encouragement is less than encouraging.

One thing I've discovered about myself is that I have the greatest propensity to be a jerk when I am the most convince of the rightness of my cause or the more rightness of it.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Faj--
You kill me! YES--there is a definite connection.

CL said...

Brandon,
I must totally agree with you and give you a hearty amen on the issue of anonymity. If it's worth saying, sign it. A few months ago I blogged about this very issue:
http://chrislockhart.blogspot.com/2004/08/balancing-act.html

I have realized that rather than recieving these fine drive by's I just don't allow anonymous comments. Seems like "a neccesary evil." God bless!

Anonymous said...

I am JDS from yesterday's dicussion. I never meant to be anonymous--I knew BST would know who it was. Just wanted it to be known that I'm not trying to hide my identity.
Daren Stanley

Val said...

BST-
I had a response to some of your angst, but it got a little long so I am going to post it on my blog instead of as a response to yours. Hang in there, bud.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Just wanted to say--I'm not ticked or frustrated. Things are good. Through this whole thing, I am choosing to rely on God to order and direct my steps. It helps me on the days when I want to whine about it all--and it helps me on the other days when I want to punch the whiners right between the eyes. :) Thanks for the comments. I love hearing what you guys have to say.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

punch 'em between the eyes or wait for them at the door with a shotgun. (only my OC buddies who go to Lee's class will find humor in that one)

Anonymous said...

Many reasons to post anonomously not in the least of fear of being black listed or marginalized or intimidated. Remember, this is a public forum, anyone can read here, even elders and people who own shotguns (or make class comments about them).

But I guess intimidation is a "necessary evil" in a fund-raising campaign.

I second the recommendation to disable the ability to post anonomously to your blog. It is free for your readers and commentors to register and post and then you don't have to be frustrated by it.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

that comment on intimidation just about made me sick. Only because I know there's truth to it. While the objective is certainly not intimidation, it can often feel that way. Try being a minister. We deal with it about every week!

Are you trying to intimidate me to take anonymous commentors off my site? Well, ok then! :)

Fajita said...

Checkmate.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Dear Notgonnatellya--
Awesome name, by the way! Please don't fall silent. This is an open forum. As I said...I like the different feelings and opinions. I think it's healthy for us to be able to talk about these things.
I do understand your reasoning. It makes sense to me. Thanks for explaining. Please don't take anything I write as a directive to shut up. Keep firin'. It's all good.

Phil said...

Good post, notgonnatellya. Thanks for it.

Fajita said...

I wonder if a pledge of prayer that God can do something with the tensions created (exposed) by the divisive --- insert the thing to which you attribute the divisiveness to here---, would be of any use.

What I like/hate about tension is that it exposes what's in there/here. Pursuing the genuine and authentic is good, but when it pursues you, however, it is more likely to appear. I like this conversation, even though I am not an OC (although my church is asking for pledges as well).

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Let me first of all say thanks to Still Anon for removing his post. Good call there, bro. Just so you know...any phone call you might get WON'T be from me. You probably guessed that already.

Fajita--great words, my dear bro-in law sage. You're right. I think it's good to pursue what's genuine and real and we should certainly be able to talk about this stuff--even if we disagree.

We allow so many things to polorize us. There are some things that should be questioned and prayed through. This is one of those things. It's good to share what God has put on our hearts about it. I especially appreciate it when it's in the spirit of Notgonnatellya.

Keep it up, family. And remember--we ARE family.