Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Wow--what a great couple of days we've had! Couple of stories to begin with...

Sunday night we had a great life group meeting, although we had been uncertain we could have ANYONE over since we had been suffering through a clogged toilet downstairs. I'll spare you the details. I brought home an industrial sized plunger and saved the day.

After life group, Maddie was just over the edge and off the hook. She had not taken a nap and that's always trouble. She was screaming and crying and just losing her mind (as were her mommy and daddy). I finally, in frustration, said, "MADDIE!!! Get a grip! You have GOT to think of something joyful and happy and pull it together!!!"

Maddie stopped crying and in a whimper whined out, "I'm just so cited (excited) that the downstairs toilet is fixed."

I fell on the floor laughing. She began to laugh too and it was the perfect end to the fit. We both got into Maddie's bed and began to "talk"--she'll say, "I wanna talk." She asked me about Poppie--what we call my dad. It was so touching for me. I got to tell her stories of the tricks my dad used to play on me. The one she couldn't get over was how he would sometimes tie my big toe to the end of the bed while I was asleep. I think this really concerned her. She's asked about it every day. I love that she is beginning to ask and know about her Poppie.

Well, the day hit. I am now 35. We went as a family to have our family pictures made at this new place called Portrait Innovations--AWESOME deal going right now. The girls did exceptionally well and we had a great time and got some amazing pictures out of it. I'll post some later.

After the picture place, we went as a family to see the Polar Express. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. I know some critics and families are saying that parts of it are too dark for kids, but it was one of my favorite movies in recent years. Maddie and Ella loved it. I leaned over to Sheryl at one point and said, "this will become the new Christmas classic." It certainly will for us--right along side Christmas Vacation!

Sheryl had bought and scheduled a massage for me yesterday afternoon. It was so awesome. I still feel like a noodle. What a great gift!

Last night we had rehearsal and it was so fun. We got to block at least half of Act 2. The Christmas In Other Lands Medley is one of the most hilarious things I have ever gotten to do in any show. They do these songs in foreign languages and butcher them--all very very funny.

Again this morning I was reminded of how much God has given me. As I left the house with Maddie in tow (on the way to school), I looked at Sheryl and Ella and thought, why me? I do not deserve the grace of our Father. I am just so thankful for 35 wonderful years, for friends that stick closer than a brother, for family who have sacrificed to help me know Jesus, for a ministry that has allowed me to encounter some of the most wonderful people I've ever met, and for ZOE life--life in the Spirit. Thank you, Jesus, for your goodness and for showering it on us.

3 comments:

Keith Brenton said...

Hmmm ... is that a Freudian typo: "I am not 35" instead of "I am NOW 35"?

Happy birthday, whichever one it is!

Val said...

Happy Birthday, Old Man. No more of this nonsense about how I am older than you. We're both 35, whether you like it or not. Do you have one last Abilene holiday left in you before your mom leaves? If so, let's plan some time together. If not, phooey.

CL said...

Happy Birthday Brandon!
Thanks for all that you do to encourage so many of us! God bless you man!