Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I woke myself up last night singing Silent Night in Spanish. Scratch that---poor Spanish. Jason McArthur and I like to call it Spanglish. It's ridiculous. Anyway, this show is fun, but enough of the Noche de Paz.

Last night we went to the hospital to see Daren and Christy Stanley's new baby--Eliza. She is so pretty! Maddie and Ella were more interested in seeing Mary Carsen (Eliza's big sister) and climbing all over poor Mary (Carsen's Granny). Ella was pretty intrigued with Eliza--the girl loves babies, remember. It was great to see them. I remember when Ella was born saying in the hospital, "We are now a family of 4!" I could not get my mind around that--I had never ever been a family of four.

Some other things I want to record for posterity about Ella--
Ella doesn't say "hot" she says, "hop". I love that so much!
Santa Clause is "Ho-Ho"
Maddie and Ella both refer to each other as "Sissy". If you ask Ella her name she won't say "Ella". She'll say, "Sissy!!"

I'm discovering that there are so many things that you forget as your kids grow older. I want to write them down somewhere so we can remember. I remember Maddie used to call birthday cakes "happy cake". I loved that too!

This morning I am headed to the DMV. It's time for the license renewal and new picture. Thank goodness. My picture from 9 years ago looks like some weird computerized version of George Jefferson off the Jefferson's TV show. Seriously.

Tonight, more rehearsal. More Noche de Paz. Wednesdays are long days. Does anyone else feel that way?

Has anyone seen Polar Express yet?

11 comments:

Jenni said...

Yes, I saw Polar Express this past weekend with my family. I really enjoyed it and think it is a great new Christmas movie - my sister remembers reading the book in elem school, but I don't.

Anonymous said...

In case you are considering taking the girls to see Polar Express, I just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The first 30 minutes or so are a little dark and intense for small children. My 3 year old nephew was petrified and started screaming "I just want to go home!!". The 6 year old loved it however. I only saw the first 30 minutes, because I had to take the younger nephew out, but according to my husband, the rest of the movie was a lot more upbeat and child friendly.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

actually, I had mentioned that some people have said that (see yesterday's blog). However, both of our girls ages 3 and almost 2 loved it. The scene at the end where Santa takes off in the sleigh is truly wonderful.

CL said...

Wednesdays are definitely the longest for me as well. I love Wednesday's because we share authentic worship times with our teens but I am still whooped when it's over, starting at 6am getting home at 10pm. Whew, they don't tell you this stuff in school. I also find God blesses me the most on these days...Hmmmm coincidence, I think not! God bless!

Val said...

Wait a second. Santa shows up at the end? And he has a sleigh?! Thanks for ruining the ending, Buzzkiller!

Anonymous said...

Geof and I saw Polar Express last night at the IMAX in 3D. Okay, so I know I would love the movie anyway, but the IMAX 3D experience makes it absolutely unbelievable!!! It's at the Nashville IMAX until Thursday (11/18). If you aren't in Nashville, I'd suggest checking into an IMAX nearest you because this experience is not one to miss out on! I felt like a four year old all over again! SO MUCH FUN! - ABM

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Val--yes, actually, Santa falls from the sleigh and dies a horrible death. Those people who say this movie is too dark don't know what they're talking about.

Jennifer said...

I think you should post the license picture. I've always wondered what a white George Jefferson would look like.

SG said...

I am with Jenn~ post the license picture!
I have all but given up the Wednesday night battle. It's great to eat at church and fellowship and go to class but everyone is SOOO tired and cranky by the time we get home at 8:30 or later.
A few Thursdays ago Kolby fell asleep in class! Her sweet teacher said "the Wednesday night church kids" are always so tired on Thursday morning! Then she added that the the soccer kids are always tired in the fall as the softball kids in spring! Her kids are "Wednesday Night church kids" too. But sometimes it just doesn't happen... like tonight for instance! Am I a bad Mom and Christian?

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Steph--ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Sheryl is at home too--actually, exhausted and wishing I were there to help her put them to bed. Our kids have always been early bedtimers. How did our parents do this? Getting out of church at 8 and home by 8:30 if you're really lucky?? No way. There are better ways to help them grow than dragging them out and keeping them up late. We still do it from time to time, but until they are a bit older, no guilt will cause Sheryl to be here on Wed nights with kids. It is just too hard right now.

Beaner said...

Our kids, ages 5 & 3, go to bed between 7 & 8. We have a Christmas Musical for the kids which we decided our 5 yr. old was NOT going to be in this year since it is his first year of full-day kindergarten. Anyway, our church has broken into "house groups" & we can meet whenever we want to, so our group decided mtg. on Sunday nights - we can get started a little earlier since no one is rushing home from work, and we end around 7-ish so we can get kids in bed. And we know that just like us, our kids don't have to do it all so I'm not worried about them missing out on the Christmas Musical - there will be other years.