Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Here's how my yesterday went with regard to the play and casting. (by the way--rehearsals have already begun and man 2, who is usually cast in a leading role wasn't cast this time because the vocal part fit man 1 better.) Enjoy.

Scene 1 (phone rings at the Thomas house)
Brandon: This is Brandon
Man 1: Brandon--I can't get my schedule to work out for the rehearsals. I cannot do the show. We've had some doctors drop out of our practice and the scheduling just won't work.
Brandon: I hate hearing that! I don't know what we'll do about voice parts, but we'll figure something out.
Man 1: sorry man.

Scene 2 (Brandon calling man 2)
Brandon: Hey bro! Ok--I have something to ask you...if we re-arranged the voice parts is there any way you'd consider doing the show?
Man 2: why should you have to?
Brandon: well, Man 1 had to drop out and I really need you.
Man 2 (loving the fact that I am squirming here): well, I guess I can swallow my pride and take the role.
Brandon: man, you are so awesome. Thank you so much. You know how weird this is for me. See you tonight at rehearsal.

Scene 3 (phone rings an hour later at the Thomas house)
Brandon: this is Brandon
Man 1: Brandon--this is (insert name). I got everything worked out!! My schedule is free now! I just wanted to call and let you know.
Brandon: wow--I just hung up with someone else who is taking your place. But--we really need you for that vocal part. Let me call Eve and see what to do. Thanks for working that out!


Scene 4 (this is after calling Eve and agreeing that we need man 1 since he had already begun the show--calling man 2)
Brandon: Hey man. Ok...soooooooo, I just got a call from (man 1).
Man 2: laughter
Brandon: Dude...I don't know what to say. He's worked things out and I think we need him for that voice part.
Man 2: go on..grovel!
Brandon: I am dyin here! Please, please forgive me!
Man 2: Just be glad we're good friends.

Scene 5 (this is just 45 minutes before rehearsal--phone rings at the Thomas house)
Brandon: this is Brandon
Man 1: Brandon--I am so sorry to have to do this.
Brandon: NO!!!!
Man 1: I came home and talked with my wife who said the schedule of rehearsals is just too much for her. She has asked me not to do it
Brandon: NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Man 1: I am so sorry
Brandon: OK--you're really doing the right thing. I understand. I'll take care of it. (inside...I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!!!)

Scene 6 (minutes later--calling man 2 back for the hundredth time)

Brandon: Hi
Man 2: laughter
Brandon: so....what is your definition of friendship??
Man 2: more laughter
Brandon: yeah, soooo I just got a call from (man 1) and he is definitely OUT.
Man 2: you must be kidding.
Brandon: nope. I am begging. I am groveling. Please, please, please take this role.
Man 2: You'd better be glad it's me.
Brandon: see you at 6:30?
Man 2: I'll be there.


The rest of the story-- man 2 is perfect in the role and the re-arranging of vocal parts will be minimal. God provides! Who says worship and arts people lead stress free lives? Have them call me!!!

In case you're reading this for the first time today--please read the entry from this morning and keep praying.




No comments: