Thursday, November 18, 2004



Another shameless plug for TJ. Tonight is the big release party for "Kind of Life". It will be really fun. The band is playing and we'll all be there to celebrate with him. Apparently, his record is selling like crazy. Everyone in the office is walking around singing songs from it. This morning on the way to school Maddie wanted "TJ!". I looked back and she was singing all the words to the first song--my favorite one on the CD and the title cut. (click the link to the right and have your computer speakers on!)

Today is Holly's birthday. (Holly is TJ's wife and my admin assistant) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HOLLY!!! I remember where I was when I turned 24. Crazy times. I was working in the Christmas show at Six Flags and about to leave for my contract on Norwegian Cruise Lines. That seems like another lifetime. 24. sigh. Holly is really missing TJ these days while he's traveling. If you would, please pray for them--for her as he's away and for his safety on the road.

Last night we finished blocking ACT 2. We're really making progress. We got to the part where Sonya does her monologue as Vera. I about wet my pants laughing. It is so hilarious! We are going to have a lot of fun over the coming weeks as we put it all together.

Life in the Spirit. Sometimes it really makes me feel like TJ's song.

This kind of life I kind of live,
This kind of love I kind of give,
And I'm tired of the real thing slippin away
I need Your real life...today.


Sometimes I feel like life is like an onion (not a box of chocolates). There are so many layers and sometimes our layers almost drown out the voice of God. I had an experience this week where I woke up in the night with what I am convinced to be the Spirit singing over me. It was an old hymn that in the daylight hours I can't even recall, but the lyrics were exactly what I needed in my spirit. A call back to the heart of the Father. It just almost seems like that voice in me is sometimes so buried beneath the layers of everything else in my world and life. I'm feeling much like that onion today. Does anyone else resonate with that concept?

3 comments:

Tim Castle said...

I know what you mean, Brandon. I woke up this morning in the wee hours, and felt like I needed to be out of bed, not sure why. I went out to the living room, and knelt in front of the couch -- I didn't really pray, but I felt the need to listen to God. After a while, I felt my mind clear, and sleep returning, so I went back to bed.

I wasn't able to process it until reading your blog, but I think what I got from it was a sense that God is paying attention, waiting on my heart, and ready to speak when I will listen. It's a notion that God is not exasperated with my weakness, or my slowness to live in Him constantly, but is patient and hopeful, and knows that my heart is His. He may know it better than I do.

Beaner said...

Brandon - reading your blog today reminded me of a funny story that I wanted to share. So the onion comment reminded me of Shrek when he says 'ogres are like onions'.Anyway....it reminded me that when our Praise Team was learning "This is How We Overcome" a couple years back, my son (who was 3 or 4 at the time) started singing it "This is How The Ogre Comes". Cracks up our team every time we sing that song. Well, it sounded like a story you could relate to! Have a blessed day! thanks for sharing your 'peelings' w/us!

Fajita said...

I was thinking about the church as an onion as it relates to what I would have to shed in order to get to a pure religion. As a kid I thought I was in the "right chruch." Then I learned that it was legalistic. I wanted to shed that legalism. Then I wanted to shed my church altogether. No, that's not enough. I needed to shed my denomination. No, I had to shed evangelicalism in total. No, that's not far enough. I needed to shed protestantism. Argh, then there is the catholicism against which the preotestants protested.

That's one smelly onion.

Then there is the flavor of the onion. My church, legalism and all was my connection to Christ. My denomination spread like crazy about five decades ago making it possible for me to be connected to it. It's evangelical theology has blessed my view on the word of God. None of that would have been there had Luther not gone gonzo on the Catholic Church...which had preserved Christianity for centuries since Christ.

I hate dicing onions, but a tuna sandwich just isn't right without a bit ogf onion in it.

Wild tangent.