Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Still feeling awful today. I finally bit the bullet and went to the doctor. Once the medicine takes effect, I should be good to go.

Have you ever written an email in haste and sent it only seconds later wishing you could reach through cyber space to retrieve it? Email comes with all sorts of downsides. You can't read voice inflection. Sarcasm is difficult to determine. You can react in a knee-jerk moment and have it recorded for all time.

Well, I was the recipient of an email that I am hoping was written under that kind of influence. It was extremely generalizing in nature and used some pretty pointed words.
I am hoping that once feelings are put to words, the tension will dissipate some. But, either way, it will be better handled in person than through email.

Communication can be so challenging. It's so much easier to settle for communicating through voice mail or email--especially in challenging situations. I've been guilty of it myself. Just because it's easier does not mean it's best. This is a lesson I need to keep learning--and that I am learning from the opposite end this time.

On a lighter note, potty training stinks. Pardon the pun. We stopped about every 10 minutes last night in the van because Maddie kept telling us she needed to go. We'd get her out of the seat and let her sit on her little potty. FINALLY, she went. Too bad this type of thing isn't instantaneous!

Our dear friends, Ryan and Sarah Williamson, are moving back to TN. The Williamsons have been an adopted family for many years. Sheryl and I are thrilled that we will be in the same city again. I know it's a loss for Pepperdine, but we are thankful!

As I look ahead to the next 6 months I realize that my mom will be here, the Williamsons will be here, and...AND...we will FINALLY have a Blue Bell Creamery here. It has been a long 9 years in a dry and weary land without my dear ol' Texas Blue Bell ice cream. It truly is "the best ice cream in the country"! (My friends at Purity Dairies hopefully aren't reading this.)

What more could a guy ask for? If everyone had Blue Bell, there'd be no nasty email messages, no war, no drugs, no crime. It's really not an overstatement.

Have a happy and HEALTHY Wednesday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are getting a Blue Bell??? Are you serious?!!! I think I might cry. Thanks for letting me know - that gives me a little piece of home to look forward to. Texas Blue Bell truly is "the best ice cream in the country" as you said. woohoo!!! - ABM

Clarissa said...

I have sent many such an email. But you know that better than anyone! And after I hit "publish your comment", this may well be another. Oh, well. I'm the same in real life, though -- the words pour forth irretrievably. It's quite hard to be retrained in this area. Now I'm trying to keep in mind this rule of thumb (from my husband.) "Don't ever put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want posted on the wall in Grand Central Station." Now, if he'd only told me that a few years ago ...

SG said...

I am so sorry you are sick! I have been a bit busy these past days so I haven't seen my blog or e-mail. Hope all is well and I hope you feel better soon. When so much of your life is "voice" based, being sick is a double blow!