Tuesday, August 31, 2004

OK, a word on creamed corn. If the world is going to be using this, I want to make sure everyone understands its roots. My buddy, Deanna Carney, brought us this awesome creamed corn from a Mennonite farm in TN. I wrote about it several times and then wrote about the creamed corn we used to enjoy in Groesbeck, TX at my aunt Ruby's house. I love creamed corn. I know--I am weird. When I lived in Nashville the first time and worked at Reunion Records, I basically lived on canned creamed corn--it was cheap. So, it has a positive meaning to me. I realized one day that I was writing about things like creamed corn and completely avoiding writing about the very, very difficult things I was going through in ministry. Those weren't appropriate to write about. Usually, some of the hardest parts of ministry are people related and to write about it would be almost slanderous. Even when I have written trying to be as vague as possible and protect identities I have gotten blasted--and I mean blasted. So--creamed corn became a phrase I began to use that was sort of code in saying, I-really-can't-talk-about-what-I-want-to-talk-about-so-I-will-write-about-creamed-corn! HA! There you have it. The official explanation of the new phrase making its way into every home in America (kidding). I guess one could say that this word has become a pejoration. Look it up. :)

So, last night at MTSU. Interesting. We had some sound issues--with the system and with us. Having said that, it was a wonderful night. That campus ministry is doing some amazing things. How exciting to be with students who really worship! Tomorrow I am leading worship at Lipscomb University's chapel. It will probably be a different kind of experience. But, I am looking forward to that too.

Here are a couple of pics from last night--


The Desperate CD has finally arrived!!! I am getting my first copy tomorrow. It's been a long road and it's always nice to finally see the finished product. Praise the Lord!

This afternoon my family is gathered in Groesbeck, TX for my aunt Ruby's funeral. I miss being there. I can't believe they are all there and I am not. But--I am at peace that this was the right decision. I will be in Dallas next week and will drive to Groesbeck. That will allow me some personal time at the cemetery at my father's grave and everyone else's.

One funny story I was remembering--besides the cemetery frights, hide-and-go-seek in the old barn, 4th of July fire works, etc--is that my dad told me that when he was a boy he'd play tricks on Aunt Ruby. She would get so mad at him that she's chase him down the street chunking used, shucked corn cobs at him as hard as she could. He got hit a few times and barely recovered. The woman had some serious guts. She loved to laugh, she loved to tease, she loved to talk about family, she loved the lake and her trot lines. She was really something. We'll miss you, Aunt Ruby!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Brandon,

It's good to hear that the Desperate CD is going to be out soon. I can't wait to buy my copy. Congrats on last night, your right. It's good to see people who want to worship. I just have one question, what do you mean by saying the experience will be different at Lipscomb University's chapel? Take care.

Val said...

BST- I think I recognize the guy at far right in the picture on the right from many years ago at Harding Academy. Do you know his name? Is it Darren or something like that?

JD said...

Thanks Brandon for the creamed corn reference explanation. I think that is quite handy ... and could even be a good thing to say in conversation when we are tempted to talk about someone we shouldn't. After all, creamed corn is boring as dirt ... well...not quite because i like creamed corn and i wouldn't eat dirt. Anyhoo... it's a good gossip stopper. I may teach it to our church and have people all over saying 'creamed corn'. But i might need to see it demonstrated a bit more.

I can't wait for my pre-purchased copy of Desperate to arrive. Yay!

Mae said...

Back in my days at MTSU ('98 - '01), the opening fall act was by Three Very Large and Serious Guys. Change is interesting, huh?

c said...

Brandon, I wanted to express my thanks for you and the group for coming out to MTSU for the past three years. I was an intern there for two years (02,03), the first two years you all came. It was a great encouragement to start the year, especially last year when you burned the mess out of your hand and you still came. I bet that slowed the tempo down a lot when you try to direct the songs with a massive piece of plaster on your arm. Thank you ZOE.

Matt Elliott said...

I'm so glad that Mae remembered our Three Large & Very Serious Guys show at MTSU! Did Zoe sing "Moosepoop" or "Cowboy Needs a Horse," by chance? :-)