Sunday, August 29, 2004

It’s been a great weekend. It seems like it’s been longer than three days. My time with Jeff and Carol was especially meaningful. Life certainly does change. I remember before we all had kids how easy it was to get together and visit. But, our energies and our time is split now…as it should be. It was nice to be around their entire family and to watch Jeff and Carol parent. They are great parents and their kids obviously adore them.

Thursday night I had Mamasita’s Mexican food. Oh my. It was so delicious. Sorry, Rose Pepper Cantina—but there is truly nothing like Mexican food in San Antonio. I mean, for that matter, Taco Cabana was a welcomed sight!

My time with the Elders, staff, and worship committee at the Northside Church was good. They are blessed to have great elders. I was encouraged by being with them. Thanks for your prayers about that. I hope what I had to offer was of help.

Before I left I ordered a couple of Christmas Musicals trying to figure out what we are going to do this year. I have come to discover that we are an even “odder” duck (or otter—ok enough) than I once thought. There just aren’t many things out there that fit us. I want something fresh, hip and a little edgy. Apparently, I am in the .00001% of churches in America with that desire. So many of these published musicals and concerts out there by WORD and others are just either canned sounding or plain ol borning. Last year we turned a youth musical into our Christmas production. It was based on the City on a Hill Christmas CD. We basically just recreated it with our own band, stage, lights, and singers. I was really cool. Year before last we did that except I took the Avalon Christmas CD and made it into a Christmas show.

This year I ordered a preview pack of King of Glory, King of Love. It was put together by some guys I really like. Travis Cottrell leads worship at Belmont Church where I used to go and leads for the Women of Faith Conferences and Beth Moore Conferences. He’s a great guy and one of my favorite worship leaders. He wrote some of the stuff in this musical and arranged it. Dave Williamson orchestrated it. Overall, I love it. I was so surprised to love it, but I do. There are a couple of things we’ll take out or substitute, but most of it is wonderful. It starts off more contemplative with a song called “Hunger and Thirst”. Given that this has been a year of searching for me, I really love the feel of that and the lyric.

There are other cool songs in it like the totally hot worship song, “Resonate Your Glory”, the Avalon hit, “Everything to Me” and a cool medley of a song called “Come with Love” paired with the Jernigan classic, “When the Night is Falling”. There are also lots of great Christmasy songs.

I have already listened through this CD probably 20 times. I don’t mind going to all the trouble to do a big concert or production as long as it’s something that energizes me and pumps me up. This is doing that for me. I may also try and bring our friends over from the Temple Church again. (An amazing African American choir that completely makes you want to do backflips.) We’ll start rehearsing in a month or so. It will be interesting to see how Wednesday nights go since we are basically moving our Saturday night service to Wednesdays this fall.

One last note. Maddie is proud of her poop. It’s the first thing she tells people. “I went poo-poo in the potty!!” Um..well! Yes, yes, you did. Yesterday when I talked to her on the phone she boldly proclaimed that she had indeed gone poo-poo in the potty and clogged it. Nice. I’d love to continue down that road for a moment, but I am trying to refrain myself…believe it or not.

Sheryl has done a great job of being Super mom this weekend. I am so grateful to her. I have missed her. It will be great to get back and see them all.

How can it possibly be Sunday again tomorrow? It seems like it’s always Sunday! It will be a great day of worship. I pray we all give our entire hearts in worship not only tomorrow, but every day.

1 comment:

Dwiggy444 said...

Brandon - we need to get Maddie and my daughter together very soon. My little one is...how can I say this...not doing so well with Ye Olde #2. Perhaps if a little of Maddie's Poop Pride can rub off on my little girl, she'll get over this hump and we can all go back to worrying about normal stuff, like getting her to eat her veggies and saying please and thank you. :-)

Or, if Maddie's calendar is too full, perhaps she'd be willing to write a short book of encouragement to share with other toddlers who are working through this important life stage? I am certian that "You Can Make Poo-Poo Too!" would be a best-seller in no time.