Monday, August 16, 2004

A couple of weeks ago our friend, Deanna Carney, brought us a bag full of goodies...fresh basil, rosemary, mint, and other great things for cooking. There was fresh blueberry-lime jelly and fresh corn off the cob from a Mennonite farm in Tennessee. We've been enjoying all of it, but tonight we had the corn. It was so great! It took me back to my great aunt Ruby's house in Groesbeck, TX. She would pick her corn from the garden and make creamed corn for dinner in a black skillet. It was unbelievable. This was every bit as good. THANK YOU, DEANNA!

I miss my aunt Ruby and the days of spending the 4th of July in Groesbeck hearing stories of urban legends and going out to the cemetery (yes, I'm serious) after dark just to get a good scare. This cemetery is where most of my paternal relatives dating back to my great grandparents are buried. It's very, very old, and has huge trees. The ultimate scary cemetery! One night my cousins and I begged my dad to drive us out there after dark so he put us all in the back of his pick up and away we went. Little did we know that my aunt Dot and uncle Sam were already out there hiding behind tombstones. Into the cemetery we drove...the fright was so thick you could cut it with a knife! My cousins and I huddled in the back of the truck laughing at ourselves and loving every second. All of a sudden my father slowed the truck and we were hearing these weird noises. These two large figures came out from behind a tombstone with sheets on. We screamed so loudly I am positive we woke several other dead people. My father had already locked the doors and we were screaming and beating on the roof of the truck cab. It was horrifying. And exhilarating! (This tells you something about my sick personality as a kid!) I don't think my dad ever got the dents out of his roof. I'm not even sure he totally wanted to. It was evidence of a scare well planned and executed.

In Aunt Ruby's back yard stood an old barn that looked at least 100 years old. It too provided many scary moments. We'd play hide-and-go-seek with my father. It was always all the kids against my dad and we were still outwitted. As we crept back to the barn we were all filled with complete terror from every story we'd heard about the things that "happened" there. (let's just say some colorful fibbing going on) It never failed that there would either be someone out there waiting for us or a really scary dummy dressed as a mean old man waiting around the corner. Some of my favorite memories were made visiting Groesbeck.

We've had a great day playing in the pool with the kids and just hanging out. Tomorrow I go back to the office and a very full day. I am so thankful for these few days to rest and enjoy the things that are most important to me.

Thank you, Lord, for my family. Thank you for such a rich heritage and so many wonderful memories. Thank you for my mom and dad who taught me to enjoy life. Thank you for my dad who played with me constantly growing up. Thank you that Maddie is asking about him. Thank you for Sheryl--for the joy she brings me and for the way she is a kid at heart too. Thank you for the way she loves the girls and me. Thank you for the way your love is poured out in our lives, Jesus. We need you and we are dependent on you. Have your way in our lives.

4 comments:

Mae said...

Your story reminds me soo much of my childhood and early college years (and even now, esp. with the fall coming on!). You just can't beat a good scare. Manchester, TN is full of old wives tales: the Bell Witch (not in Manchester, but a couple of hours away) Bone Road, the Eyes Cemetary, Gravity Hill... and Montgomery, AL with the Crosses. After all of the excitement, I knew that I could always go home to safe arms and the gentle voice of my parents to tell me everything was going to be fine. Scary is fun, comfort is everlasting! Imagine the comfort of God's arms ~ can it our earthly experience even compare?

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Right on, Mae-
In fact, for many people, just their basic family experience is scary enough. I am grateful I never had to know any of that. Your words of everlasting comfort are especially meaningful to me this morning. I have some not-so-fun things to do today.

Sam Middlebrook said...

Great story. I love the line about being positive that you "Woke several other dead people". Nice work.

Sam Middlebrook

Mae said...

Correction ~ the Crosses are in PRATTVILLE, AL not Montgomery as previously stated. Many thanks to Matt Elliot ~ Alabma State Geographical Guru ~ for the info! :)