Sunday, July 04, 2004

Yesterday was a blast! The kids all ran around with the beach balls as Karen and Steve Speake gathered them one at a time to stand in front of the island background for a picture. Mack and Maddie did their usual--chasing each other in circles laughing non-stop. It was really fun to watch them enjoy themselves. After eating our fill of fruit and cake, it was time to shut 'er down. I'm not sure what was worse--decorating or "un-decorating". I was thankful to have Paul there to help.

My mom and Sheryl went out to look at houses yesterday afternoon. The market is so different here than in Abilene. I am worried it will affect my mom in her potential move.

I had a wedding last night. There aren't many people I'd give that time to on the same day as my child's birthday party. Merritt Compton grew up at Otter Creek and has been special to me for these last 9 years. I never thought she'd find someone who would be good enough (in my fatherly way) for her. However, Merritt and Nicole Shaub (another little sister from OC) are now living in NYC and Merritt met Jim at Redeemer Presbyterian in Manhattan. Jim is one of those rare people who completely radiates the Spirit of God. They are a perfect fit. Praise GOD!

The wedding was beautiful! I got to sing Fernando Ortega's version of Come Thou Fount with the grand piano and strings. It was fun. The service was nice--even if it was over an hour long.

Last night we were in bed by 9:30 and asleep by 10pm. I remember a day when that would have seemed so hilarious to me. No more, my friends, no more!

I am thankful today for my freedom. I am thankful for the freedom I have to come and worship at Otter Creek--or anywhere for that matter. I am grateful to all the men and women who have given their lives for that freedom. But--I am even more thankful for the freedom we all have in Jesus. It is a freedom that knows no barriers of city, state, or country. Thank you, Lord!

No comments: