Monday, June 14, 2004

What a great Monday! Today I had Ella duty (Ella has always been an early riser). She woke up around 6:15...but happy! Maddie was actually up too so we went downstairs and had eggs. I really missed them this weekend while we were recording. Sheryl came down around 7:45 to relieve me so I could catch some more zzzz's!

We went to the pool for most of the morning. Even though it was overcast, it was still fun. There's something so relaxing to me about being there.

This afternoon, Sheryl gave me the afternoon off and I went to see "Troy". I love going to the movie by myself--I know, I'm weird. I have heard mixed reviews about this movie, but I really loved it. I especially loved Hector. There's something about a character who is great in battle, a great dad and husband, and true to his family that is just inspiring. I came home feeling refreshed and like I had had a real day off. THANK YOU, HONEY!

Tonight we had one of the best dinners Sheryl has made. Awesome grilled shrimp in angel hair pasta with butter and garlic, hand cut, seasoned potatoes, and corn on the cob. YES! Have I mentioned I love food?

We read books with the girls and put them in bed. I just feel so thankful today for all of God's gifts--but especially for my family. It's more than I deserve.

I was thinking about some recent email and things from more than one person about hand clapping in worship. I was trying to figure out why it seemed so hard to muster any energy to have a conversation about that with anyone--scratch that--a debate. I think it occurred to me today that in my mind it feels akin to talking to someone about whether the Earth is round or flat. I pray God will forgive my impatience and bless me with words that are life giving. I just have to be really honest and say that those types of conversations make me feel that way. I see it as approaching the topic from two completely different pre-suppositions. If someone believed the Earth was flat and staked their faith on it, no amount of debate or conversation would be likely to convince them that we are really living on a round planet. Does anyone else feel that way?

I plan to continue to blog about the things that convict me, confuse me, produce joy in me, or make me frustrated. I don't expect to ever be without fault--at least in this life. However, there are issues that seem worth fighting for and then there are all the other things that we argue about.

Today, Father, I thank You for Jesus. I thank You for His blood that covers over our multitude of sins--mine included. I thank you for my family. I thank you for warm summer days. I thank you for the sound of my children laughing. I thank you for the warmth I feel when I hug my wife. I thank you for wanting our hearts more than our lip service and for holding my hand through the times when I have been guilty of not giving you all of me. I thank you for my brothers. Thank you for Aaron's encouragement today. Thank you for Daren's incredible news. Thank you for Stephen following Your call. Thank you for Scott and his faithful friendship. I am a blessed man. Praise your name for your ability and desire to do much more than we could ever ask or imagine. Do that today, Lord. In Nashville, in Abilene, in DFW, in Phoenix--show your power, O Lord!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

About the whole hand clapping debate (among other things)- I totally get where you're coming from. It's really pointless wasting time and energy talking about things that are so trivial and unimportant in the grand scheme of salvation. It reminds me of a long debate on one of the ACU forums about diversity in chapel, which led to a huge argument that revealed some really harsh opinions and judgements. Everyone trying to convince everyone else to join them in their viewpoint generally produces nothing but more argument. Most people who have an opinion strong enough to voice are very passionate about those opinions and therefore rarely back down. I imagine that being a worship leader you get this even more often than most. But doesn't it make you even that much more excited about Heaven? :)

On another note, I don't know you at all, but I know of you from Highland and also from Kendall Massey (who had many wonderful things to say about you during Sing Song this past year.) I really appreciate all of the work that you do with ZOE Worship. It has been such a blessing to have so many fresh, meaningful songs arranged so beautifully that we can sing in our worship services. Thank you for using your gifts to bless others!

wstaple said...

Brandon,

I remember Tim preaching the Sunday after 9/11 about how trivial things like "arguments" over instrumental music vs. a capella music in worship are when compared with the events from the previous days. To me, it's the same thing here. There are too many more important issues with which to concern ourselves. And the older I get, even though I am an OFIT (old fart in training), the more mellow I become regarding things like this. God can be honored in so many different ways, why do we try to simply package our worship?

Thanks for your continued encouragement in your blogs!

Anonymous said...

Russell Heil (http://russellheil.blogdrive.com)

I love the last line of Wade's post. Why do we try to package worship? The only conclusion I can come to is FEAR! Fear of true, open ended, free worship! Fear of what others might think...and fear of what we might become and experience! It is much easier (and safer) to play it down and package it up nice and neat. And if people don't believe that is exactly what we do, then why do so many posture themselves in worship like their watching a ball-game or having a picnic? What happened to the "awe" of GOD? The One who fills the temple with the trim of His robe...The One the angels cry aloud too...The One who put His love on display with a cross? And yet, somewhere, it has all been brought down to clapping, raising, and terminologies.

I pray GOD have continued patience on us and that we come to understand more fully the liberty and freedom that Paul writes about.