Tuesday, June 29, 2004

We had a great night last night visiting with Amanda. She's like a little sister to both of us. I am sure she probably tires of us parenting her at times or giving her unsolicited advice, but she's gracious in letting us play the roles of big bro and sis.

I am somewhat heavy hearted this morning. I got hit with several things as I came in the office today. You know, ministry is never easy. I think one reason is because you can't have ministry with out people, and basically, people are messy. I say that in all confession because I see myself as the Peanuts character, "Pig Pen", at times. I just know there are so many worries out there, so many concerns, so many disappointments, too many diseases, loss of jobs, emergency surgeries, arguments, and disagreements. It's just that today, I am more keenly aware of some of them.

In ministry, I find that sometimes I HAVE to close my eyes--not to hide in the way someone without faith might hide, but to hide in the shelter of His wing. Unless I put things into a perspective that includes the cross, the resurrection, and the Kingdom, I will always feel like life is out of control.

More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BST,

Amanda Brooks McKinney is good people! I enjoyed so much of our time singing together at ACU. Tell her I still remember recording her Won by One audition video...she has probably forgotten but it was one of the funniest nights I had in Abilene.

I share your pain about squinting and hiding at certian moments in ministry...letting GOD shadow over! Sometimes that is the only thing to do. What I have found in those times is that that is where I often experience Him the most. Kind of like Elijah standing at the front of the cave and feeling the whisper! Sometimes you can only experience it when you are hiding.

Be Blessed!
Russell (http://russellheil.blogdrive.com)

SG said...

I always saw myself as more of a Lucy... but I have to say I have had my share of Peppermint Pattie and Pig Pen day! Ah the life lessons brought to us via Charles Shultz! Your a good man BST!
I think that sometimes our hearts have to become heavy in order to have the capacity to become full. As long as we run to God to hide and not away from him... a little hiding is a good thing!

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Dwight and Clarissa--
Here's the run down on Blessed Be-- Sheryl had a great idea at one point that completely made the song, in my opinion.
Verse
chorus
verse
chorus
bridge--first time through: top voices, second time through: add basses, third time through: guys sing bridge while women sing chorus (every blessing...), fourth time through: same as third.
chorus
chorus (ending glorious name...ritard a bit)
and...for the record, I love ending it just like that. it's fresh and different.
This song is my favorite song we've done on this CD--maybe on any CD in the last few years. Clarissa's arrangement of parts on "every blessing..." is one of the things I like most about it. Try that overlapping of parts on the bridge. I think you'll like it!
Thanks for your kind words.