Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I didn't really have the time or even energy to blog yesterday. It was a long one in many ways, but also good. I find I am constantly faced with the awareness that I am only a dim reflection of the things I long to be--husband, father, pastor, friend. Thank God that He is in the transforming business.

Sunday went so well. I honestly thought it might be one of the all time best sermons I had heard from Tim. You can check out his sermon on the OC web page--I think you can even order it. It's worth it.

At the first service we did something that made me think about the recent Mike Cope blog and comments. Tim mentioned something about Memorial Day and having people stand and show their appreciation of those who were serving. Even as I write, I am struck with the argument inside me about the appropriateness of such a gesture. I am so very grateful. I am so thankful for those who would suffer the horrors of war to ensure my freedom. I guess I still feel, on a deeper level, the conviction of knowing that becoming a Christian doesn't necessarily make me a better citizen of the country to which I belong. I agree with Mike that in many ways I have more in common with the Kenyan who lives in a hut and professes a deep, heartfelt faith in Jesus than I do with someone who lives in Brentwood, TN who will have nothing to do with Jesus. Some of the words spoken Sunday morning went like this...
"It's because of those men who suffered for us that we enjoy the privilege of meeting like this in worship and freedom."
My mind went immediately to the One who suffered to make that happen. As we stood and people were applauding these men who went to war for our country (for which I am grateful), it struck me as the deepest kind of irony. We gather as Christians in worship not to pledge allegiance to a nation or a flag. We gather instead as those called to be aliens. It's a weird line to walk, isn't it? As people were applauding, I thought of all the people clapping so fiercely for men-- who would be offended by the same outpouring of emotion about Jesus. I'm certain that I don't fully understand how it feels to go to war, but I also know that we have to continue to ask the question of whom we honor with heart, soul, mind,and strength. Before we sang Above All at the second service, I offered this pledge...

I pledge allegiance to the Son--the Father and the Holy Spirit.
And to the Church for which He died,
one family,
called by God,
united in love,
with liberty and freedom from sin for all.

I know that it sounds a little cheesy...sometimes God gives us things like that in our hearts for OUR OWN benefit and they are not meant to be shared. Sometimes I fail in knowing which is which, but I shared it anyway. (It sort of sounds like a Ray Boltz song. Help me!!) I just continue to believe that this calling is not, as some have made it out to be, an American calling. It's not a suburban calling. It's not an upper-middle class calling. It's not a calling for those who desire to live an ethical life. We are to be radical transformers walking as Jesus did (1 John 2:6). I admit, I am still working this out in my own life and faith with fear and trembling.

The other thing that hit me yesterday was the need our world seems to have for community and accountability. That may seem weird--especially the latter part. However, I was watching this documentary on Dr. Phil (ok, documentary is making it sound more highbrow than it should...I admit it...it was E! True Hollywood Story) and the thing they kept saying over and over about the success of his show was that people kept writing in saying things like, "I want Dr. Phil to tell me how it is". He has built his success on peoples' needs for tough love and real, honest, and hopefully (from their perspective) life changing truth. Isn't that interesting? Isn't that what we are supposed to be for each other? It's another reminder to me of the things we need to improve in our faith communities so that people won't have to search for it in places like the Dr. Phil show. However, and more powerfully, we aren't called to just diagnose the problem and send them on their way, we are called to live in community with each other. This may mean messiness at times. It may mean that we don't have the "quick fix". It may mean that we sit silently in tears and prayer with someone dealing with loss or illness instead of giving them a trite "spiritual" one liner and sending them on their way--essentially saying, "be warmed and filled". This is not an easy road we're called to. It's certainly not a seminar on self-help. We are called to strip ourselves, take our cross, deny our will, lay our lives down for our brothers and sisters, to forgive--even the worst of hurts, to extend mercy--even when it seems undeserved, to never become comfortable in our search for the deeper things of God, to be bold--even when it's unpopular--and on and on. I need that reminder today. I am a man in need of transformation. I am a man in need of death to my will. I am a man in need of more boldness to become, in stronger ways, the hands and feet of Jesus in this world. In the end, I am only a man. But let it be said of me--of us--that we lived hungering and thirsting for more and more of Jesus and a life that exhibits our faith in Him.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Good thoughts, Brandon. I have been having some of the same thoughts. I especially liked when you said: "As people were applauding, I thought of all the people clapping so fiercely for men-- who would be offended by the same outpouring of emotion about Jesus. I'm certain that I don't fully understand how it feels to go to war, but I also know that we have to continue to ask the question of whom we honor with heart, soul, mind,and strength."

I think of how some folks get emotional when singing the Nation Anthem at a ballgame, but would never get emotional when singing to Jesus at church. Interesting.....

Jeff

Matt Elliott said...

Thanks, Brandon. Your best blog yet. More of us need to struggle with the issue of allegiance. I love Hebrews 12:13-14:

"All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own."

Part of following Christ means being cognizant of the fact that we don't belong here -- not in this town, not in this country, not on this planet. While we're here, we'll "give to Caesar what it's Caesar's", but this still ain't home.

I squirted milk out my nose upon your mention of Ray Boltz. Is it just me, or does that guy have the largest cranium on the planet?? Or did they just close in way too much on his face in those old videos? I always felt like he was invading my personal space . . . like I could almost taste that bushy mustache of his. Yikes.

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

thanks, Matt. You cracked me up about Ray Boltz. Now I need to go brush my teeth.

Anonymous said...

"But let it be said of me--of us--that we lived hungering and thirsting for more and more of Jesus and a life that exhibits our faith in Him."
AMEN
How encouraging! How challenging! How thought provoking! You my friend are a great communicator whether it be song, spoken word, or blog. What a blessing you are to me in my walk. Thankyou!